Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40' holy crap thats still quite a long way for a piece that large you can certainly count yourself lucky that you are running that big chainsaw in the sky right now.

If I built or sold the saw, I will diagnose for free, but after a year I would patiently and calmly tell him what is wrong and what it will cost to fix it. If you can contact him through e-mail so there is a paper trail, let him know he just needs to authorize the repairs and you will let him know when it is ready. Small saw like that I would give him the option of aftermarket as you can get a complete crankcase and top end for like $50 or less that will last well. He bought a used saw, he won't want oem parts and when he picks it up let him know what he needs to do to avoid ruining the rebuilt saw.
He can always say no and and if he never picks it up just resell it, and who knows he may appreciate you treating him like an adult and telling him the truth and one day refer more customers.
DDave

This is exactly what I will do. The MS 250 was my first saw and had very little use on it. I had bought it and then within a week I had several other saws from friends and family so it was used very little. It was a text book starting saw, 3 pulls full choke, pop then fast idle, 1-2 pulls and away you went. The mix smells " off " to me, and the saw has some super fine dust inside the clutch cover, chain is very dull. So either mix is off and or they ran the saw hard with no load. In any case I have his emails telling me the saw runs great, where is his claims are that it never ran right. It will all be sorted out in the new year I am sure.

only saw i have is my Christmas gift to me 455. the rest of the stuff is 3 air compressors two of them are orange so i said i could fix it, and a honda lawn mower and a few chains on my bench that needed some touch ups but mostly waiting on parts.
ohh and i finally get to due the rear end seal on my old 54 ford 9n tractor this week

Attachments

• IMG_20141229_131531960.jpg
    IMG_20141229_131531960.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20141229_131617931.jpg
    IMG_20141229_131617931.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20141229_131553006.jpg
    IMG_20141229_131553006.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20141229_131612176.jpg
    IMG_20141229_131612176.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 94
Well I had a Jonsered 2065 on my bench for a few minutes. My customer said it wasn't running right, like maybe the gas line had e10'd away or something.
I opened it all up, ripped the carb apart, everything was clean and perfect. The gas line looked like it might have been kinked just a tad, so I untwisted the line 1/2 turn, fired it up, cut some wood, PERFECTO!
I told him his saw was junk, that he needed to leave it with me and go buy a new saw!

Uh-oh! I've fixed two saws in two days... Somebody knock on wood. I just got my Stihl 011 to run, just waitin on some parts from Chris, so I can finish mounting the handles. Feelin good!

Worked on my 1966 Mustang for the first time in about 8 years. Started assembling an MS390, sold one saw, bought a pile more, shot two deer and quartered them up, grilled steaks for the kids before they head back out. Did a bunch of paperwork that I wish would go away forever...

I have 359 Husqvarna on the bench right now that I'm doing a few minor things to. I'm installing a new oiler gear and set of felling spikes. I'm also doing a muffler mod on it. This thing is running good ever since I came across Scott's HDA199 repair video.

Picked up a "barn find" Husqvarna 298.... it turns over... stiff. Probably has a bit of corrosion in places it doesn't want. Missing an air filter but all the plastic is there; dirty but in reasonably good shape.. TIME for a bit of recreation vs. work! Going to see if I can clean it up and get it running... then REALLY clean it up with a few new pieces here and there. And have a Husqvarna L65 up next after the 298.. both fun & game saws.

I have 359 Husqvarna on the bench right now that I'm doing a few minor things to. I'm installing a new oiler gear and set of felling spikes. I'm also doing a muffler mod on it. This thing is running good ever since I came across Scott's HDA199 repair video.

Scott is the man. I've learned a ton from the guy.

Picked up a "barn find" Husqvarna 298.... it turns over... stiff. Probably has a bit of corrosion in places it doesn't want. Missing an air filter but all the plastic is there; dirty but in reasonably good shape.. TIME for a bit of recreation vs. work! Going to see if I can clean it up and get it running... then REALLY clean it up with a few new pieces here and there. And have a Husqvarna L66 up next after the 298.. both fun & game saws.

The 2100 top end is a direct fit. :)

I've watched Scott's video. Is that all there is to fixing the HDA 199 carb ailment?

Back