ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Backup Chainsaw?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by Paul234, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Paul234

Paul234 New Member

I have a Husq 350 and saw a Shindaiwa 488 in decent shape for 110.00. I was thinking about getting it for a backup. I don't cut wood for heat but sometimes need to clear fallen trees and limbs in the yard. I don't really "need" another saw but might not be a bad idea because things always break when you really need them. The Husq is at least 10 years old and has issues from time to time. What do you think?

2. Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs

If the 488 is a runner with a not scored cylinder and piston, absolutely grab it as a spare. It may need a carb kit and fuel lines if it's been sitting with fuel in it for an extended period of time. If you're handy and put these in yourself, you should be able to do it for around $20. If it needs more than that, it's totally up to you.

Having a 2nd saw isn't a bad idea anyway. Getting stuck is easier then you think. Having that 2nd saw gives you something to cut your stuck saw free with. Even if you let this 488 go, grab a cheap Poulan from Lowes for a spare. It will beat the hell out of cutting your stuck saw out by hand.

Husky Man and Dahmer like this.
  3. Paul234

Paul234 New Member

They say it was serviced and that it runs strong. But you know how that goes.

4. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

I have had a couple of 488s. There's one in my basement right now, but I'm gonna send it packing tomorrow. They're great saws. Light, durable, good power for the size, especially after you open up the muffler a little.

Dahmer and Paul234 like this.
  5. alderman

alderman Addicted to ArboristSite

I collect Shindaiwa saws and have probably cut more wood with a 488 and the older 500 than any other saw size. Be aware there is an epa model 488 with a non adjustable carb and also one with an adjustable carb. I’ve got both and don’t have an issue with either, but may make a difference for you.
    $110 for a running 488 is a good price and it should serve you well if you don’t leave it sitting with fuel in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk