Backup Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul234

Reaction score
I have a Husq 350 and saw a Shindaiwa 488 in decent shape for 110.00. I was thinking about getting it for a backup. I don't cut wood for heat but sometimes need to clear fallen trees and limbs in the yard. I don't really "need" another saw but might not be a bad idea because things always break when you really need them. The Husq is at least 10 years old and has issues from time to time. What do you think?

If the 488 is a runner with a not scored cylinder and piston, absolutely grab it as a spare. It may need a carb kit and fuel lines if it's been sitting with fuel in it for an extended period of time. If you're handy and put these in yourself, you should be able to do it for around $20. If it needs more than that, it's totally up to you.

Having a 2nd saw isn't a bad idea anyway. Getting stuck is easier then you think. Having that 2nd saw gives you something to cut your stuck saw free with. Even if you let this 488 go, grab a cheap Poulan from Lowes for a spare. It will beat the hell out of cutting your stuck saw out by hand.

I have had a couple of 488s. There's one in my basement right now, but I'm gonna send it packing tomorrow. They're great saws. Light, durable, good power for the size, especially after you open up the muffler a little.

I collect Shindaiwa saws and have probably cut more wood with a 488 and the older 500 than any other saw size. Be aware there is an epa model 488 with a non adjustable carb and also one with an adjustable carb. I’ve got both and don’t have an issue with either, but may make a difference for you.
$110 for a running 488 is a good price and it should serve you well if you don’t leave it sitting with fuel in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Husq 350 and saw a Shindaiwa 488 in decent shape for 110.00. I was thinking about getting it for a backup. I don't cut wood for heat but sometimes need to clear fallen trees and limbs in the yard. I don't really "need" another saw but might not be a bad idea because things always break when you really need them. The Husq is at least 10 years old and has issues from time to time. What do you think?

They break cause you are using the wrong saw.;)

The “right saw” is like a unicorn, you never really have it so you just keep buying, thus the beginning of CAD.

I'd agree. But then how does one define the "wrong saw"? I get that it must have been if it broke, but the implication was that it could be identified ahead of time.

If the 488 is a runner with a not scored cylinder and piston, absolutely grab it as a spare. It may need a carb kit and fuel lines if it's been sitting with fuel in it for an extended period of time. If you're handy and put these in yourself, you should be able to do it for around $20. If it needs more than that, it's totally up to you.

Having a 2nd saw isn't a bad idea anyway. Getting stuck is easier then you think. Having that 2nd saw gives you something to cut your stuck saw free with. Even if you let this 488 go, grab a cheap Poulan from Lowes for a spare. It will beat the hell out of cutting your stuck saw out by hand.
Sometimes When someone buys a saw I tell them if they can't afford two saws to buy another bar and chain. That way if they pinch a saw they can remove the pinched bar and chain, put the Other bar and chain on the saw and simply cut (use wooden wedges too) the other bar free. I always carry two saws but having Two bar and chain sets is easier to carry at times and provides some back up.

Back