Backyard Grass Help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I live in Birmingham, AL and I have about 30% shade in my backyard.
I have tried a number grasses including heat resistant fescue and grass designed for shady areas specifically.
The results have all been the same, looks good, healthy, and green yet when the heat of late May and the summer months come in it withers up and dies!
I'm not ready to invest in high dollar Zoysia or sodding bermuda just yet.
I see this certain fescue looking grass thriving on the sides of our highways in extreme heat all summer long.
I have considered double seeding bermuda or perhaps pasture fescue that farmers use for their cattle. Maybe even clover?
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
Reg

Is the grass in the sun or shade? You know we had a bad drought two years ago so any grass around trees gets sucked dry. Compounding that, in my yard because nothing is flat around the area, is that the top soil is easily stripped of nutrients when there’s no sod to hold it in place during all the rain we’ve had this year. The only thing that seems to work because of the poor soil is sod. If you find a good fix then post it, I’m certainly interested too.

You’re most likely not seeing tttf (turf type tall fescue) on the sides of highways. That field fescue you’re seeing survives anything but is thick and impossible to walk on barefoot.

I’m in Atlanta, same growing zone as Birmingham, and I am dumb enough to grow fescue. I like long blades grass and I like green grass year round. Smart people sod zoysia. Smart poor people sod Bermuda.

So a couple tricks with fescue. Tons of milorganite through summer. Tons of water, early morning, will keep it from going dormant. Use GOOD seed. Mow tall, 3.75-4”. Keep weeds out and away from competing

What’s your ph like? If you are too acid or alkaline nutrients the grass needs may not be available. The grass seed bag will tell you where the variety you are planting likes to be. Amend with lime or sulphur accordingly.

Back