Bad door gasket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was doing some heating today and I threw a small piece of wood on the furnace as it was on it's way to burning down to coals. I went outside for a bit, we didnt have work because of the current blizzard conditions, and when I came back in about 15 minutes later I smelled a weird smell. It was paint burning so I went to the furnace and it was running ok then I looked at the chimney temp gauge and it said 500. I shut the damper on the furnace and then the damper in the pipe and it came back down quick. There was no smoke outside. I pulled the clean out tee cap while it was still going and there wasn't any creosote or blockages.

I changed the door gasket and now the chimney temp is lower than it has been and the furnace output seems better.

So I think it was leaking air in and that piece of wood took off like crazy when it hit the hot coals. I've been watching it and it seems ok.

Opinions?

It's been a couple years since I changed it but in 6 years with this furnace I have never had that happen. I thought it was a chimney fire but there was zero smoke outside and the chimney was free of creosote. There wasn't any in the clean out cap either just a half inch of ash dust.

It is really cold out.

I have it loaded up and its putting out a lot of heat and the magnetic chimney thermometer is at least 50 degrees lower than it has been since the start of the season. It's also the coldest and windiest that it has been today, and in a long time.

Back