Bad neighbor!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most HOA agreements are written with serious teeth in the funding area. Like 'if you don't pay your dues, we get to foreclose on your home'.

fortunately out HOA mandates are pretty laid back, dues are only $100/year, and just fund the minimal landscaping at the entrance, the street lights, and a small play ground & tennis court area. The only real repercussions of not paying are that you aren't allowed to participate in community events, or use the playground & courts. Also, any complaints you make regarding association rules are ignored.

Got more than a few estimates for a 8ft tall white PVC fence, and signed the contract and provided deposit, in March they'll be installing it.

Fence is gonna block their view of my backyard good, 8ft tall is the tallest permitted here and I applied for a permit since 8ft needs a variance from the local rules.

Just got back from the town meeting...my variance for the 8ft tall fence has been denied.

Why?...

Because the bad neighbor showed up with his tenant from upstairs and objected it...on the grounds of blocking sunlight :rolleyes:

I told them technically their whole house blocks the sunlight and the sunlight comes from the top, not from the side that he said. Sun runs from East to West and according to the copy of the survey you have, his objection does not make much sense.

I told them it would look retarded if I have a 8 ft tall fence on my right side of the house and a 6 foot on the left. Most of the board members agree.
The board also agree to the privacy the 8 ft offers.

Except one of them who wants everything to be 'neighborly' where each side has to compromise such as the color of the fence and distance from the property line.

The town board did tell them "Do you know that he can put up a 6 foot tall fence without any permit and you would not have any legal recourse over that?"

then the bad neighbor and his tenant from upstairs started mumbling and the town said "what did you say?" and then he said "nothing".

My other neighbor from the good side showed up too...has no problem with the size of the fence but has a problem with the color. He wants it tan instead of white PVC. I counter-objected saying it will cost additional expense to have a tan color which I decline and the fact white is the color because it matches my house trim, not his.

Then this idea came up; build a additional stone wall on top of the 2 ft that is there currently to a maximum of 4 ft overall height and grade the fill, and install a 6 foot fence on top of that. There is no permit needed and it's legal according to the town codes.
All the board members could not find any problem or conflict in the code books and said it's legal.

Then the idiots looked stumped and the 'oh crap' factor...go figure.

I'm gonna be calling the fence contractor tomorrow morning and have them install a 6 foot white PVC fence ASAP, and on top of that I'm gonna put some plants to grow from the top of the fence for an additional 2 ft of privacy.

Also gonna have someone trim my neighbors trees overhanging into my property according to the survey sheet.

:censored: em!

Last edited:
777ER, where are you in NY? I have some options for 'ya. Shoot me a PM or post your zip and perhaps I could be of assistance. Town codes are a good thing, they are interpreted from either side whom ever is the complaintant, just make your case to the point and referer to ALL codes, not just locally.

777ER, where are you in NY? I have some options for 'ya. Shoot me a PM or post your zip and perhaps I could be of assistance. Town codes are a good thing, they are interpreted from either side whom ever is the complaintant, just make your case to the point and referer to ALL codes, not just locally.

Dobbs Ferry, NY. 10522.

I did make my case to the point. How am I supposed to refer to all codes and not locally where the application was for?

What are my options?

Last edited:
Just got back from the town meeting...my variance for the 8ft tall fence has been denied.

Why?...

Because the bad neighbor showed up with his tenant from upstairs and objected it...on the grounds of blocking sunlight :rolleyes:

I told them technically their whole house blocks the sunlight and the sunlight comes from the top, not from the side that he said. Sun runs from East to West and according to the copy of the survey you have, his objection does not make much sense.

I told them it would look retarded if I have a 8 ft tall fence on my right side of the house and a 6 foot on the left. Most of the board members agree.
The board also agree to the privacy the 8 ft offers.

Except one of them who wants everything to be 'neighborly' where each side has to compromise such as the color of the fence and distance from the property line.

The town board did tell them "Do you know that he can put up a 6 foot tall fence without any permit and you would not have any legal recourse over that?"

then the bad neighbor and his tenant from upstairs started mumbling and the town said "what did you say?" and then he said "nothing".

My other neighbor from the good side showed up too...has no problem with the size of the fence but has a problem with the color. He wants it tan instead of white PVC. I counter-objected saying it will cost additional expense to have a tan color which I decline and the fact white is the color because it matches my house trim, not his.

Then this idea came up; build a additional stone wall on top of the 2 ft that is there currently to a maximum of 4 ft overall height and grade the fill, and install a 6 foot fence on top of that. There is no permit needed and it's legal according to the town codes.
All the board members could not find any problem or conflict in the code books and said it's legal.

Then the idiots looked stumped and the 'oh crap' factor...go figure.

I'm gonna be calling the fence contractor tomorrow morning and have them install a 6 foot white PVC fence ASAP, and on top of that I'm gonna put some plants to grow from the top of the fence for an additional 2 ft of privacy.

Also gonna have someone trim my neighbors trees overhanging into my property according to the survey sheet.

:censored: em!

if i read that right ... you could have a 10' fence?

if i read that right ... you could have a 10' fence?

No. You could have a maximum of 4ft tall stone wall and a 6 ft fence can be installed on top of that. That will make the overall height combined to be 10' from the ground level.

ahh... and be all with in code and nothing he could do about it. sweet

I have called the fence contractor and he's going to order the white 6' fence, and will call me to schedule installation after the fence arrives in 2 weeks to his shop.

Just now, I pulled out my survey and measured the property lines...the old damaged 8ft fence (damaged by windstorm in March) is at 9 feet from the house foundation.

The property line in the survey is 10 ft from the foundation of the house on that side.

I'm going to have the fence contractor install the new fence at 9 feet and 6 inches (6 inches inboard of property line).

That means the neighbor's "landscape" (mulch, bushes, flowers) are on my property by a foot and half already. Their backfill pushed out the bottom of the wooden fence by a few inches into my property.

Fence contractor said no problem, he's going to remove it and reclaim the the land when I show him the survey before he starts work.

The neighbor from that side doesn't want a white fence, I told him "too bad, any color other than white will cost additional, and white matches my house trim"

As for the other side where the bad neighbor is, the new fence is still going up as planned.

This thread is making me feel good about our recent family home move...to a 2-acre lot with forest and the nearest neighbour over 150' away...:)

Good luck with your neighbour though!

This thread is making me feel good about our recent family home move...to a 2-acre lot with forest and the nearest neighbour over 150' away...:)

Good luck with your neighbour though!

Good Grief, are you co-habitating???? :dizzy:

150 Feet? That's togetherness. :)

Lol...guess it's all about perspective then. I'm used to 10'-ish in the city. :)

Some of the newer lots in subdivisions, the homes are so close you literally can't build two fence gates side-by-side, nor can you even install two air conditioners beside each other. You need to stagger them. :dizzy: They scrape all the topsoil off the lots, cut all the nice trees down and then stick a new twig (usually a norway maple or similar nursery variant), complete with mulch volcano, on every new lot and call it 'nature-friendly'.

I feel for 777ER though...a bad neighbour can make your life hell. Hopefully it works out. Sometimes these things can run out of steam with time...

If you were closer, I would loan you my old (20+ year) Honda mower. Smokes so bad when you first start it it looks like one of those 'fog sprayers' at work.

Harry K

Just last tuesday I flew my r/c heli for about 20 mins in the backyard to test it out after lubing all the moving parts and checking the trim... it smoked up the backyard good with nitro fuel smell and the smoke color is very light blue (when viewed in the sun) to white...and wouldn't you know it...the neighbor's car is in the driveway (must have called in sick to work on a nice day!)

so after about 20 mins of hovering and checking the trims, the bad neighbor's neighbor (retired robision oil tanker driver) comes outside...goes into the bad's neighbor's backyard and knocks on their sliding door, waves hi then comes over to my side with the hedges (deer net fence in front of him) and starts waving at me and tells me to put it down. I tell him "don't talk to me while I'm flying" (would you let someone talk to you while you're busying using a big chainsaw?) and he muttered something and waved his arms up in the air like in dismay...at this point I landed my r/c heli because the fuel was getting really low, then the engine just stopped 5 seconds later. He then starts talking loudy compalining about the smoke, I said "I don't care!, I don't control the wind and I don't care" and he walks away. Meanwhile the bad neighbor never came out...typical since he's a coward. No police showed up.

Next week my deck is getting overhauled and I'm gonna be using my 361 to cut the old deck wood down to 2ft length for trash haul away and just to get some time on it ;)

Heard back from the fence contractor that my white PVC fence materials arrived at his shop and is going to call after memorial day to schedule installation of the new fence and remove the old wooden fence from one side of the house.

On top of that, I hired a arborist last week to give me a estimate to cut the neighor's japanese maple and cherry trees branches off my property and trim my two dogwood trees. A total of 6 trees, 2 of mine to be trimmed and the rest are the neighbor's trees cut off at my property lines. Signed the contract and sent in the deposit for the work to be started.

Just last tuesday I flew my r/c heli for about 20 mins in the backyard to test it out after lubing all the moving parts and checking the trim... it smoked up the backyard good with nitro fuel smell and the smoke color is very light blue (when viewed in the sun) to white...and wouldn't you know it...the neighbor's car is in the driveway (must have called in sick to work on a nice day!)

so after about 20 mins of hovering and checking the trims, the bad neighbor's neighbor (retired robision oil tanker driver) comes outside...goes into the bad's neighbor's backyard and knocks on their sliding door, waves hi then comes over to my side with the hedges (deer net fence in front of him) and starts waving at me and tells me to put it down. I tell him "don't talk to me while I'm flying" (would you let someone talk to you while you're busying using a big chainsaw?) and he muttered something and waved his arms up in the air like in dismay...at this point I landed my r/c heli because the fuel was getting really low, then the engine just stopped 5 seconds later. He then starts talking loudy compalining about the smoke, I said "I don't care!, I don't control the wind and I don't care" and he walks away. Meanwhile the bad neighbor never came out...typical since he's a coward. No police showed up.

Next week my deck is getting overhauled and I'm gonna be using my 361 to cut the old deck wood down to 2ft length for trash haul away and just to get some time on it ;)

Heard back from the fence contractor that my white PVC fence materials arrived at his shop and is going to call after memorial day to schedule installation of the new fence and remove the old wooden fence from one side of the house.

On top of that, I hired a arborist last week to give me a estimate to cut the neighor's japanese maple and cherry trees branches off my property and trim my two dogwood trees. A total of 6 trees, 2 of mine to be trimmed and the rest are the neighbor's trees cut off at my property lines. Signed the contract and sent in the deposit for the work to be started.

ought to have a AS GTG there and run about 20 saws at once... :cheers::cheers:

Lol...guess it's all about perspective then. I'm used to 10'-ish in the city. :)

Some of the newer lots in subdivisions, the homes are so close you literally can't build two fence gates side-by-side, nor can you even install two air conditioners beside each other. You need to stagger them. :dizzy: They scrape all the topsoil off the lots, cut all the nice trees down and then stick a new twig (usually a norway maple or similar nursery variant), complete with mulch volcano, on every new lot and call it 'nature-friendly'.

I feel for 777ER though...a bad neighbour can make your life hell. Hopefully it works out. Sometimes these things can run out of steam with time...

Lol here there outta sight. Mine are at my front gate by my wood and brush dump its twenty feet high by 100 feet wide lol they can't see anything but a no trespassing sign. Most of my neighbors are ok though.

What was that old saying,

Good fences make good neighbors.
Seems like an 8 foot high one might be just the ticket. Obviously check the town / city ordinances first.

Best of Luck & Take Care

Fence is up finally as of friday night. Looks really nice and awesome.

The other neighbor came home and came up to my fence contractor and asked him what he was doing. He told him he's a fence contractor and he's putting up a fence. Then he showed him the survey of the property and told him his landscaping and plants are on my property by a foot and half and that the new fence is going to be installed 4" inboard from the property line and he must remove all the soil and plants, cut the tree in half since it's on the property line and to avoid damaging my fence. If he has any problems, he's going to call the police and present them the survey. Neighbor said 'yea ok ok' and nodded his head and walked away like he can't do anything about it.

One thing for sure, they don't like the white pvc fence color and asked for it to be tan. They were told that it's not their fence and they're not paying for it.

Deck work underway and lots of hammering/drilling/cutting going on currently.

Also the fence contractor owns a stihl and used it to cut the old fence into smaller sections for haul away :)

good for you!

Fence is up finally as of friday night. Looks really nice and awesome.

The other neighbor came home and came up to my fence contractor and asked him what he was doing. He told him he's a fence contractor and he's putting up a fence. Then he showed him the survey of the property and told him his landscaping and plants are on my property by a foot and half and that the new fence is going to be installed 4" inboard from the property line and he must remove all the soil and plants, cut the tree in half since it's on the property line and to avoid damaging my fence. If he has any problems, he's going to call the police and present them the survey. Neighbor said 'yea ok ok' and nodded his head and walked away like he can't do anything about it.

One thing for sure, they don't like the white pvc fence color and asked for it to be tan. They were told that it's not their fence and they're not paying for it.

Deck work underway and lots of hammering/drilling/cutting going on currently.

Also the fence contractor owns a stihl and used it to cut the old fence into smaller sections for haul away :)

they got what they deserved.you handled it well.much better than I woiuld have.i get along with most of my neighbors too which amazes me really.

Back