Bald cypress questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchipley

Reaction score
I am new to the site. Kind of a nutty question. I have bought sold and grew many bald cypress trees but always sell them and and grow them for my personal home with the branches all the way to the ground. Thats my preference but see them trimmed higher all the time.

I am working with a rv park right on the edge of the mississippi river. I have planted these here and even with sever flooding they do fine. Question: The lots here are generous in size but the individuals here want as much space as they can get down low. someone asked if these could be trimmed ridiculously high. (they would almost look like deciduous palm trees). Lot of good reasons to do this besides the room issues like the debris that catches on lower limbs in a flood etc.

Would not look too bad I am thinking if the trees were huge but they are not that big yet and I want to plant some more that would only be 10' tall. How much is too much? Would they live with just a "top knot" of growth up high?

I love bald cypress trees but I believe in the scenario presented that long term the 'knees' are going to be a serious problem.

Not a good tree for an RV park, IMO.

I just planted a 103" tall bald cypress in my backyard. I may have picked a poor spot for it to be planted and Im researching if installing a root barrier wall is an effective solution. Do you have any experience using them? I have to figure something out soon. I will attach some photos tomorrow.

It’s a really slow growing species. I keep one near my dock trimmed as high as I can reach. The knees are a huge problem. They can be mowed when they are small.

Back