Bald Cypress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siggy55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2 year old bald cypress and it looks like it has a brownish tint to it, it looks brown.
Water tree twice a week three gallons each watering. I see no visible insect after getting up close to it.
Any one has a idea whats the brownish tint cause?

Attachments

• IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 7
I’m no bald cypress expert but we have 12 of them on our property and I have seen a brownish/red tint on the green leaves before. I look forward to hearing what responses you get; thanks for posting.

Ours are about 30-35 years old. A few of them have some pretty major “knees” emerging from the ground around them...need to mow a big circle under them with a trimmer so we don’t damage the knees, brush hog or mower deck.

Thanks for the reply, I hope there is someone with experience on this brownish tint will give us an answer.
My trees are roughly 2 years old and I hope that it a ways off before the knees start emerging.

Thanks for the reply, I hope there is someone with experience on this brownish tint will give us an answer.
My trees are roughly 2 years old and I hope that it a ways off before the knees start emerging.
Try holding a white piece of paper under the damaged area and give the branch a good shaking look for small bugs on the paper

Take some close up pics of damage so we can get a better look

Bring a sample to your local extensions office

Woodanhor,
I've looked allover tree for bugs and found nothing.
I have attached a picture 2 pictures of tree.
I did ask county extension agent about this brownish tint and he didn't seem worried but did suggest I get a soil analyze
I did Auburn University can back with results of applying 15-0-15 fertilizer in which I did.
I have attached 2 pictures of tree. All replies and suggestion are appreciated. Picture 448 is how most of tree looks.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0448-1.JPG
    IMG_0448-1.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 8
The insects could be very small or unable to be seen without magnification
mites maybe able to be spotted on a white paper
Spider mites need a magnifying glass at least

[Del_
Hm, so I need to maybe water almost everyday? Is the brownish tint a indicator it needs more water?
Thank
SigQUOTE="Del_, post: 7334639, member: 2050"]
Bald cypress are very fond of water.

Even with the watering you guys are doing it may not be enough.

View attachment 841106
[/QUOTE]

You just can't plant a bald cypress anywhere and add enough water to make it thrive.

Is where you have your bald cypress planted the same kind of environment that you find bald cypress in your area growing wild?

Do you know you soil pH?

How's air pollution in your area?

Del_
Hi again,
I live about six hundred yards from swamp that does have cypress growing there.
They are really tall several of them are actually in the creek and they have knees that are about two feet tall.
The air pollution, I do not know all I can tell you is that it seems to me to be clear and no haziness in the day time.
Here are the results of my soil test did maybe a month ago.
LAB No. Sample Designation Crop Soil Group* pH** Phosphorus
P***
Potassium
K***
Magnesium
Mg***
Calcium
Ca***
LIME-STONE N P2O5 K2O
Pounds/Acre Tons/Acre Pounds/Acre
14131 Bald cypress
See Comments 1,2,3
Trees 2 6.0 H 59 L 75 H 117 H 1696 0.0 120 0 120
Comment No.1: Per 100 sq. ft. apply 1 pint 15-0-15 or equivalent in the early spring and repeat in the early summer. If phosphorus is excessive then fertilizers containing this element should not be used. Excessive phosphorus may cause an iron deficiency. The symptoms occur as a general yellowing of new growth. To correct, spray with a soluble source of iron which can be found at garden supply stores.
Comment No.2: Final remark - For small areas, comments give examples of ways to meet the fertilizer recommendations. Other fertilizer grades or materials that supply equivalent amounts of plant nutrients may be used with equal results. If you need assistance in calculating amounts of other materials to use, contact your county agent or fertilizer supplier. A pint of dry fertilizer is approximately 1 pound.

Across from this Bald Cypress is another one that is doing great nice color trunk i about 8 inches in diameter.
I should have checked email earlier I could have sent a picture of it.

Sig

Latest posts

Back