Bandit 2100SP Stump Grinder, need advice re. tightening belts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like he has more direct experience with this exact model but I believe under that cover there should be two pillow block bearings that can be adjusted. Get the engine to jackshaft tight, then adjust the jackshaft to cutter head. As he stated the belt must be adjusted properly, once they glaze over from slipping they won't grab right. Also make sure they are perfectly parallel with a straight edge.

You have to get this right. Usually there is a kevlar belt on the cutter wheel to jack shaft. If it runs loose and slips it will have to be replaced. Are you sure the lower belt is not stripped and slipping? How do you know that it is the upper belt that is slipping?
Very good question. I do not know for sure which belt it is that is slipping. But the other felt very taught so I assumed it was the bigger belt on the other side. But one of them definitely slips often.

It sounds like he has more direct experience with this exact model but I believe under that cover there should be two pillow block bearings that can be adjusted. Get the engine to jackshaft tight, then adjust the jackshaft to cutter head. As he stated the belt must be adjusted properly, once they glaze over from slipping they won't grab right. Also make sure they are perfectly parallel with a straight edge.

I don't know this machine. I've only done my Rayco 1675 tow behind and my Carlton 4400 self propelled.

I don't know this machine. I've only done my Rayco 1675 tow behind and my Carlton 4400 self propelled.
Nonetheless, both of you guys have helped me. Dal, would you mind if we facetime someday while I do this? I just don't want to mess it up. I have never used a straight edge.

Very good question. I do not know for sure which belt it is that is slipping. But the other felt very taught so I assumed it was the bigger belt on the other side. But one of them definitely slips often.

If it does have a kevlar belt, it is 'toothed'. If it gets loose the teeth fail and the belt needs to be replaced.

I'm away for a couple of hours out in my veggie patch.

I don't do face time. I don't know how and don't want to learn!
Not trying to force facetime, but I was not referring to use to it see "each other," but rather to show you in real time how taught the belt is, and to show whether it is glazed. But I get it. I am 58 and a techno dinosaur myself. I proudly tell the world I have never even played a "damn" video game in my entire life. But facetime, for a smart person like you, is am amazing avenue for the exchange of information about the topics yuou know a lot about. But thanks anyway!!! I'll figure this thing out.

Wow....that would be great. How about tomorrow, anytime......
My cell is 919-637-7003. how about we tough base any time you want. I will go out first thing to get a straight edge. By the way, there is the chance there is nothing wrong with the belts, even though they are slipping. My auto sweep function stopped working, so I do tend to bear down too hard, and slippage could easilyu just be user error (stupid me). But the slipping is happening more often. And when the cutter wheel engagement arm is lowered the belt does feel "sort of" tight. When we facetime, you might tell me it is too loose, or you might say it's just fine. The Bandit 2100SP is a frustrating experience becauise it is at beast a mid sized machine. Some would even call it a small machine. Most people who have this size stump grinder of any make often express frustration that it is under powered. So all of this just might be "me" trying to do too much with a smaller unit.

Most people who have this size stump grinder of any make often express frustration that it is under powered. So all of this just might be "me" trying to do too much with a smaller unit.

We started with a Bandit ZT1844, look it up. It is very similar in power and even smaller in size. But with a little patience we have done some big stumps. Around here there are so many fenced in yards being able to get through the gate is key.

How do you like your 4400? I came across a SP7500 that needs a new motor so I picked it up and stored it until I get a new engine.

I like it. It has the radio remote option. It only has about 200 hours on it as I don't use it much now that I'm retired. The tow behind Rayco 1672 is much faster on big stumps and holds a lot of chips up underneath, 72 hp. The Carlton rides up on the chips. The radio remote can knock out a lot of small stumps very quickly. It's got the 58 hp Duetz if I spelled that right.

Back