Bandit 65XP chipper hydraulic fluid drain and change

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k nystrom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The other day a crew member accidently dumped about a gallon of diesel into the hydraulic tank (thinking it was the fuel tank). Can someone walk me a bit through the process of draining out the old stuff (which was probably due to be changed anyway)? And would the tractor supply traveler premium hydraulic fluid be a suitable replacement?
Thanks much!

It gives
What does your manual say?
It gives some specs for canadian hydraulic fluids, and some schematics for the lines but no procedure for draining and cleaning. I've just never dealt with the hydraulics before and am having a hard time finding specific info for dealing with it...

aw46 or compatible aw32 if you don't have any leaks and or its a newer machine, any Napa/tractor store/farmers co-op on the planet should have it (though aw32 is a rare bird)

find the plug which should be on the reservoir tank somewhere, if you can't find the drain plug pull the supply line to the pump, drain and refill, change any filters at the same time, just like you would with an engine. Just do not for any reason run the engine without hydrualic fluid, pumps are expensive, damaged pumps damage everything else in the system...

Don't worry much about the small amount of fluid in the system, if you are concerned, change the fluid several times to flush as much diesel out as possible.

Thanks very much! Wasn't sure if there was any additional steps or blowing of lines, etc to be done... I change the knives and oil, and replace starters and thermostats on it, but never messed with the hydraulics, so just making sure I didn't screw anything up. Much appreciated!

if your still concerned about the diesel in the system, watch it for foaming the first couple of runs. The diesel will thin it out a little, which isn't necessarily detrimental, but if it starts foaming either from a chemical reaction, or just diesel being a little foamy, that could lead to air getting into the pump, causing cavitation... which is bad em kay... like really bad

Back