Bar and chain compatibility

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydestone

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What’s up guys? Are these compatible? The sales person said they are, but the chain barely seems to spin as it’s too tight on the bar. Thoughts?

84b20e3ee2712f2c4531405fd6049ac4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This appear to be a match. BUT what about the sprocket size?? What did you have before buying this from the sales person, did they know what you were using?

If that is for the ms290 do you have .325" sized sprocket, as that was the most common size for that saw,

Yes, I do have the 325” sprocket...stock saw, haven’t modified anything.

I was cutting some wood after putting on the new bar and chain, and the saw wouldn’t ramp up to full speed. I stopped and checked it, the bar was super hot and the chain would barely spin.

Cleaning the saw now, it’s been a while. Will put back together and see how she spins.

Sorry guys...I feel like a bonehead for posting this.

I’ll bring back tomorrow if they are open. I’m sure there will be some pushback since I used it. Fingers crossed they’ll take them back.

Sorry guys...I feel like a bonehead for posting this.

I’ll bring back tomorrow if they are open. I’m sure there will be some pushback since I used it. Fingers crossed they’ll take them back.

Don't feel like any sort of bonehead!
We have all been there and done similar before I am sure.
If anyone the salesperson is to blame by not getting the full back story of the saw you were looking to fit this bar and chain to.

When you only own one saw and the shop does your repair work, you are not really aware of different gauges, pitches, low kickback, sizes...... but you are now. ;)

I have to actually push the chain into the bar. Never done that before.
If you ran the chain on the wrong sprocket, it may have created small burrs on the drive links - this could make it had to fit into the bar groove.
If so, these can be filed or ground smooth, or hammered flat, especially if only run a short time.
It is possible that the chain also dinged up your drive sprocket a bit.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/deburing-drive-links.249436/
You and your shop will have to figure out whether you stick with the 3/8" pitch bar and chain, and buy a new drive sprocket, or switch back to the .325" pitch bar and chain. Either way, bring the saw with you, as the drive sprocket may be worn or damaged and need replacement.

These are all consumable parts. It's how we all learn!

Philbert

Thanks guys.

Is there a particular advantage to one sprocket’s pitch versus another? Ie, are there advantages to a 3/8” sprocket over a .325 sprocket?

Thanks guys.

Is there a particular advantage to one sprocket’s pitch versus another? Ie, are there advantages to a 3/8” sprocket over a .325 sprocket?

Personally- in that length of 20" I would be looking seriously at staying .325. in my opinion 3/8LP is good up to 16, then you might be asking a bit much of it.

There is a lot of personal preference, and some strong opinions that you will hear.

Some guys do not consider .325 to be 'real' chain (!). The engineers at STIHL, who you trusted to design the rest of your chainsaw, think .325 is better with that saw.

Objectively, if you chain is kept sharp, the cutting speed will be similar, but the .325 chain will be slightly smoother in smaller diameter wood. If you only cut larger diameter stuff, you will not notice this.

Philbert

Some guys do not consider .325 to be 'real' chain (!). The engineers at STIHL, who you trusted to design the rest of your chainsaw, think .325 is better with that saw.

Philbert

Those same guys possibly cannot file .325 as well as they can 3/8 (especially if 3/8 is all they have run for decades) and never realise the full potential of .325.

I’ll stick with the 325, I’ve never had any issues with it.

Any reason not to go with an Oregon bar and chain from HD, versus Stihl OEM?

They’ve got a bar and chain combo on amazon for $40. Just pulled the trigger, will be here in a couple days. Worth a shot.

Latest posts

Back