Bar and chain oil? Synthetic 2 stroke oil or non? Both?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot907

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own a small lumber yard in Alaska off the road system been trying to expand into other markets, just gathering some knowledge on oil. Price wise there close, just curious which bar and chain oil is more popular Motion Lotion or Durex?
Also I am curious if I should sell both synthetic and non synthetic 2 stroke oil or just one or the other?

Thanks

I would mainly stock best quality Syn with perhaps a half dozen bottles of cheap. For Bar oil sift through till you find one at a good price that's "tacky" after all it only goes around one time so doesn't have to require a mortgage to buy

As of right now the only bar oil offered in town is Ace Hardware brand at $24.99 a gallon, I submitted my new dealer form with Baileys this morning going to see what kind of bulk pricing they offer.

OIL THREAD!!!!!
facepalm_animated.gif

This oil thread is a bit different than most. I think the OP has some legitimacy here without having to use the search. Op is looking more at this from a DEALERS perspective.

This oil thread is a bit different than most. I think the OP has some legitimacy here without having to use the search. Op is looking more at this from a DEALERS perspective.
Ah, I see your point.

OP, Just a thought--
If you're THAT far from the "main road"...
Perhaps carry just straight 30, non detergent oil. It can be used in either tank. There is nothing worst than needing oil #1, not having it, but having a ton of oil #2. Get the quantity price breaks buying it by the railroad tanker.

Assuming the bar oil that your Ace is selling for $26.99 is the store brand (and that is your competition) I'd think just about any bar oil you can sell below that would work fine. If it was me, I'd only do synthetic mix oil. I'm guessing shipping is a killer for you. Why make it worse trying to outguess sales of two products? Synthetic will work for anyone, as long as the Ace is your competition and you beat price you should be fine. I can't imagine there's a lot of selection locally. Bulk shipment prices for you should give you margin to compete with those who might try to order their own.

If you're THAT far from the "main road"...
Perhaps carry just straight 30, non detergent oil. It can be used in either tank. There is nothing worst than needing oil #1, not having it, but having a ton of oil #2. Get the quantity price breaks buying it by the railroad tanker.
1 Hour plane ride to Anchorage, Castrol 2T is the king of oil around these parts so that's what most people are using right now. I sell a quart for $8.99 which is by far the cheapest quart of 2 stroke oil in town, Railroad tanker is out of my price range but I usually get a little price break on pallet quantity's.

If the market is driven by your Castrol at $8.99 I'm not sure what else you'd sell to compete. If there is a demand for a better oil, I'd find out what that is and sell it. As a side note, I'm not so sure I'd run the Castrol 2T in my OPE given much for options.

Pricing for non synthetic chainsaw oil is higher then expected probably just stick with the 2T for now, I am more then likely going to use Baileys Motion lotion and there Woodland Pro synthetic oil to get things going. Appreciate the help take care.

I'm not so sure I'd run the Castrol 2T in my *** given much for options.
I know its not ideal but when gas is $7.00 a gallon and your other option for non synthetic oil is $15 to $20 a quart it quickly becomes "good enough", My 346 has consumed many a quart of 2T over the years my newer saws don't seem to mind it either "so far" hehe.

Back