• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Bar b Que across the road

cantoo

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
I was working in my shop yesterday afternoon and heard the kids yelling out front, I walked around the corner of the house and my neighbours barn was in flames. My son, nephew and I jumped in the surburban and raced over. Owners were inside the barn trying to get the sheep and cows out so we jumped in tractors and moved everything we could and got everything out of the way for fire trucks. Got hydro shut down to this barn, they also have 4 other barns (10,00 chickens, 500 sheep) but at least the wind was lightly blowing the right way. Their kids were screaming that Mom was in the barn, I yelled for my daughter to pack up the kids and get them to our house. Finally got the wife calmed down and getting anything they needed out of the house in case wind changed. 15 long minutes until firefighters got there. He had just put 75 bales of just balled straw into the barn. Not sure of the cause but likely hot straw, spark from diesel track loader or it went into regen while parked on the barn floor covered with straw. They were lucky that we were home and able to get everything moved and they were lucky that they didn't die inside the barn. They did save all the sheep but that was a risky bet at best to go in there when the upper level was completely engulfed. The fire lasted about 3 hours until an excavator arrived and they were able to open up the straw and soak it. You can see in the last picture how much of a complete burn it was. Barn floor was double ply 2x10 and once it fell the heat was unreal and burn down was over in 15 minutes. I advise everyone to sit down for awhile and think about a "what if" and make a plan or two in case of a fire. 67682591_10157226537245659_816681936775806976_n.jpg 67617084_10104567261154411_5539421133574504448_n.jpg 20190804_113831.jpg

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I was a kid we had a farm and we bailed huge stacks of hay. It wa s common for a stack to catch fire from the heat produced from composting heat. If the hey is not completely dry the compost heat is enough to cause the stack to catch fire.

cantoo

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Yes, it is finally sinking into his wife how ridiculous it was to leave her kids and run into a burning barn to save sheep. Sadly in a few months it will be gone from her mind. With any luck someone with more sense will be around then too.

B Brown

B Brown

ArboristSite Operative
Thank GOD you guys were close, nothing is as important than the family!! Something like that can happen in seconds, your right on having a plan, just in case. Glad everyone is ok.

B Brown

B Brown

ArboristSite Operative
Actually , he was talking about the electricity. I used to think the same thing until i found out what they really meant. lol. Don't feel bad, your not the first. ha,ha,

cantoo

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Choppy, I'm Canadian eh. We call electricity hydro here because it originally was water powered and most companies were called " Whatever Hydro" the name has stuck and it doesn't matter how it is produced anymore it's still called hydro. Even our local Nuclear powered plant used to be called the hydro plant. We still have Ontario Hydro and they produce very little water power anymore.
They got the burnt steel and concrete and most of the rubble cleaned up today and are getting ready to start the new build. Looks like they might try to save the last 30 or 40" of the hoop building and just adding onto it.

siouxindian

siouxindian

ArboristSite Operative
I was working in my shop yesterday afternoon and heard the kids yelling out front, I walked around the corner of the house and my neighbours barn was in flames. My son, nephew and I jumped in the surburban and raced over. Owners were inside the barn trying to get the sheep and cows out so we jumped in tractors and moved everything we could and got everything out of the way for fire trucks. Got hydro shut down to this barn, they also have 4 other barns (10,00 chickens, 500 sheep) but at least the wind was lightly blowing the right way. Their kids were screaming that Mom was in the barn, I yelled for my daughter to pack up the kids and get them to our house. Finally got the wife calmed down and getting anything they needed out of the house in case wind changed. 15 long minutes until firefighters got there. He had just put 75 bales of just balled straw into the barn. Not sure of the cause but likely hot straw, spark from diesel track loader or it went into regen while parked on the barn floor covered with straw. They were lucky that we were home and able to get everything moved and they were lucky that they didn't die inside the barn. They did save all the sheep but that was a risky bet at best to go in there when the upper level was completely engulfed. The fire lasted about 3 hours until an excavator arrived and they were able to open up the straw and soak it. You can see in the last picture how much of a complete burn it was. Barn floor was double ply 2x10 and once it fell the heat was unreal and burn down was over in 15 minutes. I advise everyone to sit down for awhile and think about a "what if" and make a plan or two in case of a fire. View attachment 751377 View attachment 751379 View attachment 751380
this is not a BBQ. this is very bad fire were life and animal were at risk not ball busting. but not a BBQ. you are a very good friend to be able to help . your family was at a great risk and they helped as much as could you all are a hero you all are very blessed to come out with just a barn burning down.man i can only hope my neighbors will rush to action as fast as your family did. give my thanks to you and yours.my deepest sympathy to the family that lost to the fire.