Bar/chain advice for a noobie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsawlittlebrains

Reaction score
Just picked up a Poulan Pro PP5020AV on Craigslist... first mistake. It was only 55$ and with a retail of around 200$ I thought, SCORE! Well, the saw didn't want to turn on the bar. (I fired it up when I bought it, but didn't want to look like a craigslist killer and start revving it up in the parking lot where we met to do the deal. second mistake.) Anyway, I pulled the chain off with some labor, and the DL's were mangled. almost all of them. Took me two hours to file them all down, but I got it back in the bar smoothly. Made a few cuts and the chain is DULL. This is an aftermarket Oregon bar and chain (another reason I thought it was a score). Not sure of the chain model, but I believe it is not one of the low-kickback models. Long story short, I want to order a whole new bar and chain set because I'm sick of messing with it right now. I would just get the chain but I'd rather have a spare of both bar and chain so I can sharpen the other chain on my own time (I have to teach myself to do it). Can anyone point me in the direction of the 20" bar and chain combo for this saw that has a GOOD chisel chain, not the low-kickback type? i am using this to buck all the fallen trees at our cabin so we can be self-sufficient with our firewood and maybe sell a few cords in the process. Also, this thing spits out a TON of oil on the bar... much more than our smaller 16" bar Stihl. I thought this might be due to the larger motor, but I thought it could also be a problem with the bar being scored up by the DL's so the oil is flowing heavier? Any advice would be great! Thanks, Ben

Back