Bar compatibility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibeatgodzilla

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of putting a carving guide bar and chain one of my 023s and having a go at that, seeing as I've got three of them now.
I've found and ordered the correct 1/4 sprocket; managed to find a genuine Stihl one for a good price.

Regarding bar I have a question, and to be truthful am not entirely sure whether the answer is 'of course' or 'of course not'.

Taking the 12" length as an example I see for carving bars, Stihl references 30050003105 (1,1mm) and 30050003205 (1,3mm).

The 1,1mm version is, everywhere I look, advertised as compatible for MS150-MSA120-MSA140-MSA160-MSA200 whereas the 1,3mm one is advertised as compatible for MSE140, MSE140C, MSE160, MSE160C, MSE180, MSE180 C, MSE200, MSE200C, 09, 010, 011, 012, 017, 018, 019T, 021, 020, 023, 025, MS170, MS171, MS180, MS181, MS190T, MS192C, MS192T, MS193C, MS193T, MS200, MS210, MS230, MS231, MS241, MS250, MS251

The obvious answer is go with the 1,3mm one which is deffo compatible for my machine. However I can find an aftermarket 1,1mm equivalent for 1/4 of the price (considering it's just for toying around and nothing serious) but no cheaper alternative to the 1,3mm variant and not sure how much I want to spend on something I may not do very often. Basically i'm wondering if I can get away with the cheaper one but don't want to end up wasting my money if it won't fit.

So, is there any reason that, with the correct chain of course, I could not put the 1,1mm bar on my 023? And if there won't be any compatability issue, how come no website I see describes it as compatible?

Does anybody know whether the mounting pattern is the same and perhaps slightly different between these models of saws? I know they holes and slots are larger with bigger model machines.

Thanks in advance.

If it starts with 3005 that is going to be the same mount. The 1/4 x0.043 is at this time Stihl only where the 1/4x0.050 has multiple product sources and two variants from Stihl and Oregon. The less expensive option to use imo.

I would think getting into generic or Oregon small 7 spline and 9 tooth rim sprockets would be sensible. What does Stihl offer?
What size nose do you prefer? Hard nose vs sprocket?

Not in France, it's the opposite! Can't find a cheaper equivalent to the 0.050 anywhere whereas in 0.043 I see this one: https://www.nhp-motoculture.fr/guide-chaine/14553-guide-chaine-tronconneuse-30-cm-14-0043-11-mm.html - Quite happy to spend that sort of money on a 'potential hobby' :) Strangely not available in 0.050, any length except 12" and I cannot find it anywhere but on that one website. Equivalent to Stihl 30050003105.

If it's the same mount (good to know that; I didn't think to look up the code partially for compatibility), is there any logical reason whatsoever that I couldn't mount the 0.043 bar on my machine? Is it possible all the retailers are basing their compatible machine lists on what they would have been equipped with originally, as opposed to what's really compatible? I see various bars both 0.050 and 0.043 listed as both compatible for 017/018 so in theory why not 023?

The sprocket I have ordered is genuine, part number 11236402077 ; 1/4 8T . Was on sale, one left in stock, $20 delivered so I didn't argue that for genuine quality - I couldn't get an aftermarket one for that here.

I've never really thought much to compare hard-nose bars to sprockets; not that there's a lot of choice with the limited carving bars available! Not particularly set in stone, but on the basis of the one and only one that I found that that low price, 12" seems like a good choice in this case!

I put essentially the pole saw set up (61pmm3 44drive links) on my ms251, it made a lot less chips but not much other real world advantage I could see. Did not experiment with nose properties. In this market the ms 230 and ms 231 are really just de bored versions of the 250 and 251 and Stihl calls out and makes stock 0.325 chain. I can not comment on the prior model line that starts with 0. This may be why after market suppliers are reluctant to list that model.

I have not experimented with that mini 1/4 chain and have no intention of doing so. I do have some curiosity about two items though.
1) does it really fit up to sprockets (drive only in this case) for the 13RM, 25ap, and other 0.050 class. Note the difference from the sliding surface to the pivot centers appear less so the sprocket diameter at least for a rim type should be more.
Or the other way around if I get the sprocket for my Stihl pole saw in 1/4 inch pitch can (fit properly) I run the 0.050 class with it?
2) what is the max hp or cc for this product?

The bar you link is a universal fit as you can see it has two sets of adjuster and oil holes. Their incentive in making a listing page likely are different than others.

Only reason to experiment with the 1/4 chain is that all the carving bars seems to be for 1/4 chain.

Not sure if it's a typical US/Euro difference but over here all the 023/MS230 are 3/8, stock. In fact I think all of my Stihls are, except the polesaw which is 1/4. Mine aren't de-bored though as they have 025 engines in them :)

I've never thought of max hp for a product, but always been curious to see how much of a 'lightsaber' my 066 would be if only they made a tiny bar for it :D

If you have the polesaw set up on your MS251 that pretty much confirms compatibility for a 0.043 bar on the machine. I think I'll risk the €18 on the cheaper aftermarket bar; and worst case scenario if for X or Y unforeseen reason it doesn't like my 023, it'll be fine as a spare bar for my HT-KM, so money not wasted.

Latest posts

Back