• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Bar for an 090 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got an 090 magnum with a 36" bar, but I know it can pull a lot more chain. My problem is I can't find anything bigger for it. I checked the Stihl website, Oregon, Holzforma and just plain Google... Nothing.
Anybody know who would carry a compatible bar 48"-60"?

The Cannon 60" is way different than the 59" Stihl and a better bar. Oregon Chain Bar Repair (not Oregon Chain) will make you a bar for it and their prices were very good a year ago. The old Generals were good bars. GB and Forester make them, but they don't have the best profile and bend easily. Cannon is truly the way to go.

I don't mean to be the hair splitter, but just to be clear, there's no such thing as an 090 "magnum".

Based on your post, if a 4' bar is enough you can find them new and used for a decent bit less than the 5' if price is of any of any consequence to you. Stihl and many other folks offer them. Frankly, Stihl has a hard nose 47" that I find to be a great bar at a fair price. I have a used one or two in the under-five-foot range. If you're interested PM me.

I'm not sure why anyone is trying to lead the OP to believe Stihl bars are junk? Not all of them are. A 47" Stihl Duromatic is a great bar that performs well and will last (new or used) for many years of service.
The 47" hard-nosed may be good, I know the 41" Rollomatic is, but the 59" bends like a wet noodle compared to old Oregon, Cannon, and General bars. Now does it have hard rails, probably but it flexes way too much.

I think you'd find the Forester & GB to be flimsier yet, as they have pencil profiles. However the GB is well made with good steel and hard rails. Too bad these companies don't change the profile so it has more belly. Cannon usually has the best belly, though some of the old Oregon bars I've had a nice fat profile as well.

I don't think I've had a GB over around 50", but it was a nice stiff bar; heavy as hell for the length too. My 52" Oregon roller nose is a pretty fat belly bar, still thin and flimsy. Doesn't matter to me though; I'm not using that one to make horizontal cuts.

So, back to the OP. @Cromwell, have you decided on a length and found a suitable source yet?

I don't think I've had a GB over around 50", but it was a nice stiff bar; heavy as hell for the length too. My 52" Oregon roller nose is a pretty fat belly bar, still thin and flimsy. Doesn't matter to me though; I'm not using that one to make horizontal cuts.

So, back to the OP. @Cromwell, have you decided on a length and found a suitable source yet?
I've all but given up looking. I needed it for a large willow removal, but the tree had so much punk in the center tgat I was able to use my 36"

I'm not sure why anyone is trying to lead the OP to believe Stihl bars are junk? Not all of them are. A 47" Stihl Duromatic is a great bar that performs well and will last (new or used) for many years of service.
since they changed the oil ports they are absolute junk no grease tip on the nose and balanced like garbage

I got an 090 magnum with a 36" bar, but I know it can pull a lot more chain. My problem is I can't find anything bigger for it. I checked the Stihl website, Oregon, Holzforma and just plain Google... Nothing.
Anybody know who would carry a compatible bar 48"-60"?
if you got the $ look into a windsor

Back