ArboristSite.com Sponsors


Bar for bucking hardwood

Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
Joined
Mar 1, 2013
Messages
3,200
Location
Western WI
In my case the 462 will be used 80% of the time with the 20" (es light) and the other 20% will be with the longer bar. I wondering if the standard ES will be more forgiving in case of a user error. For example if I bend the bar, won' t be easier to be fixed?

Do you think that the 462 will be particularly stressed if I use it with the 28" on hardwood? The average use of the longer bar will be for for about 5 hours per year.
My wife permits only bucking...

If you bend a regular bar, there's a decent chance it can be fixed. A lightweight bar, not at much.
 
EchoRomeoCharlie

EchoRomeoCharlie

ArboristSite Guru
Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Messages
569
Location
Midwest
In my case the 462 will be used 80% of the time with the 20" (es light) and the other 20% will be with the longer bar. I wondering if the standard ES will be more forgiving in case of a user error. For example if I bend the bar, won' t be easier to be fixed?

Do you think that the 462 will be particularly stressed if I use it with the 28" on hardwood? The average use of the longer bar will be for for about 5 hours per year.
My wife permits only bucking...
I run a 28" Tsumura light bar 95% of the time on my 462. No issues. Most of my cutting is in hardwood here in southern Wisconsin. Oak, Locust, Walnut, Hickory, etc. Runs it perfectly fine. I wouldn't personally see a point in running a shorter bar on my 462...as if I don't need a bar that long, I'll grab my 261 for less weight.

The other 5% of the time is a 32" bar for the big pine trees around here. Pulls that just fine as well. 32 is a bit much for the 462 in hardwood though.
 
koutoukos

koutoukos

ArboristSite Lurker
Joined
Oct 17, 2012
Messages
9
Location
Greece
Ok, guys some feedback. I went for the standard es bar.



I didn’t notice any particular drawback to the power of the saw.

Also I didn’t find the extra weight of the 28” bar particular annoying for bucking and I am not a big guy. The bar weight was against the tree trunk most of the time.


For the durability, only time will tell.

Thank you all for the comments.

I now have to do some bucking...

Cheers
 
koutoukos

koutoukos

ArboristSite Lurker
Joined
Oct 17, 2012
Messages
9
Location
Greece
What kind of wood are you cutting? I was in Greece 10 years ago and loved every minute of it. I’d love to make the trip again.
Olive tree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive#Olive_wood.

The picture is from south Corfu.

If you come again, and want to spent some hours limbing and bucking sent me a pm. You can always bring a 80-90 cc chainsaw. We could use it.
 
Top