Bar oil cleanup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longbeards

Reaction score
I wouldn't normally ask such a question but yesterday my new gallon of bar oil fell off my rig. I picked it up and put it in my crate with my ropes. (My very expensive bull ropes and such). I didn't know it but the container had cracked and leaked over night. Today I found my ropes soaking in bar oil bath. I tried to clean them with dawn but it doesn't pretend to cut it. Any ideas on how to clean the ropes so they are still usable? I do not climb with them, just pull and rig.

I'm no pro w/ ropes, but I have worked around oil a very very long time. depending on how much rope it is, if your washing machine can handle it, I'd wash it in there with a big generous squirt of hand cleaner, something like fastorange, but something without the grit. brand names are escaping me right now. the fact you already tried to get the bulk of it out says to me you can just throw em in and turn it on. if they were still heavily oiled I'd soak them in dawn or simple green or something to get the bulk off first, and keep it out of the wash.
if they're real bad, after you wash, run the washing machine empty or with your work clothes in it, just in case there's some oil left behind. never happened to me, but with the amount of oil those can probably absorb, I'd do it.

I wouldn't normally ask such a question but yesterday my new gallon of bar oil fell off my rig. I picked it up and put it in my crate with my ropes. (My very expensive bull ropes and such). I didn't know it but the container had cracked and leaked over night. Today I found my ropes soaking in bar oil bath. I tried to clean them with dawn but it doesn't pretend to cut it. Any ideas on how to clean the ropes so they are still usable? I do not climb with them, just pull and rig.
I buy a bag of corn meal. Plain normally but self rising will do. Add thin oil like cheap cooking oil and cheap dish soap. This stuff cleans grease off my hands easily. DON'T EVER put BLEACH on a rope. I'd pull the rope through the cornmeal mix and work it in wipe with an old T shirt or paper towels. Then once the light oil and meal has removed most of the heavy oils I'd put the rope in a tub with Laundry soap and use a plumber plunger to wash it. Thourgly wash and rinse until all soap is out. Depends upon how much rope you have. You might be able to put it into a washing machine to finish the job. Pictured is my 150 feet of 3/4 double braided nylon. On this much rope I'd clean one portion at a time and hang out to dry. I'd not put it in any kind of dryer. Very light oil and meal should remove a lot of bar oil. Those are 5 gallon buckets. Lots rope. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20170308_173741.jpg
    IMG_20170308_173741.jpg
    716.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back