Bar oil in newer Stihl saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rapeseed oil, let alone canola, is absurdly expensive here. The cheapest you can get it for is €9/liter through the agri consortium (it's used as nutritional supplement for horses). At that price even Stihl's vegetable based oil is a steal.

It used to be cheaper, but people were caught using it to cut diesel fuel and that was the end of it: the price was hiked to discourage a practice which was felt to be pretty widespread. As the old saying goes: thanks to "somebody" we don't sell on credit to anybody.

Rapeseed oil, let alone canola, is absurdly expensive here. The cheapest you can get it for is €9/liter through the agri consortium (it's used as nutritional supplement for horses). At that price even Stihl's vegetable based oil is a steal.

It used to be cheaper, but people were caught using it to cut diesel fuel and that was the end of it: the price was hiked to discourage a practice which was felt to be pretty widespread. As the old saying goes: thanks to "somebody" we don't sell on credit to anybody.

The local Aldi or Lidl here in Ireland have it as 'vegetable oil'. If you look at the ingredients, it is either safflower or rapeseed. The rapeseed version was 67 cents a litre last I checked. I got a few 5 litre jugs on sale for 1.99 once after Xmas. But usually I think it's closer to 3-4 euro.
However it has no tackifier. So if you are wanting a nice thick and rich oil, this ain't it. But it seems to work fine for our uses.

The platinum seems to be a bit thinner then the woods cutter and coated the chain better.

The standard out here in the PNW different weights available from light, all season, heavy, and super. Last case I got was 8 and some change a gallon.
472b93483b26514ee8db885141cb127d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I just run Poulan oil. Available from Walmart or a local commercial supplier here for around $8-10 a gallon. It's pretty thick, but I just put a bit of diesel in the jug to thin it out.

Not sure who makes it, have gotten it in lime green jugs or black. Some of it is tan colored, some is red, no rhyme or reason that I can figure.

The standard out here in the PNW different weights available from light, all season, heavy, and super. Last case I got was 8 and some change a gallon.

Where do you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the local Ace a quart of Platinum was $5.99 and a gallon was $14.99 so I bought a gallon since I knew the stuff worked well in the little cordless. I've had the saw since the middle of May and just finished off the quart that I was given with the saw so a gallon should last over a year which makes the cost insignificant.

We go through maybe 25-30 gallons a year between the saws and the stroke delimber (topping saw). Been using that Poulan oil for 7 or 8 years without any problems. The Husqvarna branded oil seems to be the same stuff too.

The Stihl oil might be better, dunno. We retail bar oil and it's hard enough to get someone to pay $12 for a jug vs dumping nasty used oil in the saw. EVEN after they finish paying a $50-100 bill for us redoing the oiling system!

That's a familiar sight. I used to work up near Willamina, OR. I think it was PEP that had their own version. I always thought it was funny it had a condom name.

Or off highway diesel

I have a friend who used some off highway diesel.... as fuel ?!?!?!

No joke, he had never run this brand new Stihl MS291. He FOUND (you can't make this up) a can of fuel on his property that he thought was mixed for two strokes (was red in color), apparently left by a guy he'd hired to do some work. Since it didn't fire right up we asked how old the gas was- and that led to our discovery. We simply flushed out the fuel tank once with some True Fuel and refilled it. It started fairly easily at that point but smoked like crazy for a few seconds.

I have a friend who used some off highway diesel.... as fuel ?!?!?!

No joke, he had never run this brand new Stihl MS291. He FOUND (you can't make this up) a can of fuel on his property that he thought was mixed for two strokes (was red in color), apparently left by a guy he'd hired to do some work. Since it didn't fire right up we asked how old the gas was- and that led to our discovery. We simply flushed out the fuel tank once with some True Fuel and refilled it. It started fairly easily at that point but smoked like crazy for a few seconds.
No in the winter we put a little in the bar oil to thin it down especially on the harvester that has a screen you have to pour through.

That's a familiar sight. I used to work up near Willamina, OR. I think it was PEP that had their own version. I always thought it was funny it had a condom name.
It used to be blended by a company in Portland named Christensen, then they'd bottle for tons of places.

We go through maybe 25-30 gallons a year between the saws and the stroke delimber (topping saw). Been using that Poulan oil for 7 or 8 years without any problems. The Husqvarna branded oil seems to be the same stuff too.

The Stihl oil might be better, dunno. We retail bar oil and it's hard enough to get someone to pay $12 for a jug vs dumping nasty used oil in the saw. EVEN after they finish paying a $50-100 bill for us redoing the oiling system!
We've had some issues with the Poulan stuff in the past but that has on a harvester it doesn't seem to be tacky enough for that application. 25 gallons is nothing for a year we run more then that in a month.

Latest posts

Back