Bar oil leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Ms 180 and a 290 that I've taken apart 2 times trying to stop a bar oil leak near the pumps and can't figure out what I'm missing as far as finding what is worn that's causing these leaks( leaks while running and causes a big puddle after it's turned off)
Could it be worn around plastic bushing that pump shaft goes through?

Hi Hunt4lumber,
How long does it take for these puddles to appear, 2 hrs, 2 days, 2 weeks ?

I have had saws that would slowly leak oil out due to changes in the atmospheric pressure and heat cycles day night, and that would effectivly pump out oil thru the bar, back onto the sprocket and down under the saw over a few weeks, one saw was worse than the others for it.
T

Hi Hunt4lumber,
How long does it take for these puddles to appear, 2 hrs, 2 days, 2 weeks ?

I have had saws that would slowly leak oil out due to changes in the atmospheric pressure and heat cycles day night, and that would effectivly pump out oil thru the bar, back onto the sprocket and down under the saw over a few weeks, one saw was worse than the others for it.
T
The vent is supposed to prevent that from happening. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to stop my saws from marking their spot! A few of them get a nice clean piece of cardboard under them, if they’re stubborn.

Trains, it leaks like crazy while it's running then continues probably for 1-2 hrs after saw us shut off( all over my floor)
I have 6 stihl saws, and none of the other 4 have ever done this so it's not atmosphere...
There has to be a specific cause that's common between the two of them

Trains, it leaks like crazy while it's running then continues probably for 1-2 hrs after saw us shut off( all over my floor)
I have 6 stihl saws, and none of the other 4 have ever done this so it's not atmosphere...
Yes. It is called a "leak" and you need to find it!!!!

As they are both different saws, I would advise against assuming the same fault is common between the saws. Tho I see your reasoning.
The most common issue with the 180 is leaking from the rubber pickup / supply hose that exits the tank, and is then fitted to the supply of the oil pump in the plastic housing of the saw under the handle. Common for the rubber to harden a bit and leak there. but thats not where you say your 180 is leaking.

However as others have asked, pictures would help tell the story. maybe you need to remove the clutch and provide pictures. I had a bad oil leak from my 180, and it was due to damage to the plastic housing tearing a hole in the oil gallery, and leaking badly there, and not oiling the bar.
Again, pictures would help.

the 290 has a different oil pump and delivery hose, and again, a different animal to the 180.

do you have IPL's for these saws ?, illustrated parts lists, that will give you an idea of what parts are involved, and where they go on the saw.

I have also come across problems with where the bar seats and instead of the oil being passed into the bar oiler hole, there would be a small gap due to the base not being flat, and the bar would rock for want of better terms, thus not sealing where the oil gallery feed meets the oil hole in the bar, that caused a good leak.

Again, can you get some pictures with the clutch off on both, and we can go from there, were here to help mate.

T

I've had the 290 apart and found that the outside plastic was not mating flat against the bar last year( got new and replaced it, thought I found the problem with that but still leaking badly)

From another site——First thing to do is assertain just where the leak is coming from. Also check the tank vent as mentioned if leaking out of the bar.. If leaking behind the bar the machined part of the crankcase could be warped usually from over tightening. This will have to be flattened with a file. Sometimes wear plates get chewed up and don't let the bar seal to the case. Could be a cracked rubber connection or housing if coming from behind the pump.

As the barometric pressure and temperature changes during the day, this is what builds up enough pressure in the tank to push the oil out if the vent quits working properly.

Ok, I've already replaced the black rubber oil line on the 290( with a oem Stihl part)
So it should not be that...
(Where does this silver tank vent go to?( Asking ahead of time so I don't try blowing it out with air and get whatever is in that passageway where it shouldn't be...)

Back