Bar oil reservoir hole. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highred

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Husky 350 started smoking badly and then I started to notice bar oil on the muffler. When I took off the muffler, this is what I found:

http://robcaldwell.net/Husky/P3120001.JPG

http://robcaldwell.net/Husky/P3120002.JPG

http://robcaldwell.net/Husky/P3120003.JPG

Is that hole supposed to be there? If not, I am considering filling it with high temp JB Weld.

What do you guys think???

Thanks,

Rob Caldwell

I got a Husky 36 a fellow wanted me to look at, said it was smoking awful. Pulled the muffler off and found the samething you found, a hole burnt through the top of the oil tank. Seems they should put a heat reflector plate or something under those mufflers, wait, a flaw, hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa where is Sawtroll,hehe

thats what happens when your muffler comes loose and blows the gasket.

Maybe but the muffler I took off was nice and tight, hole still burnt through the top of the oil tank. Oddly also got a Husky 141 that came in the shop fried. Guy said keep it. I looked at it and noticed it looks almost exactly like that 36. The first differance I notice between the two is the 141 has a metal heat reflector under the muffler protecting the oil tank. I'm hoping I can switch the cases on these two saws, that little 36 runs good..

Thats what I was thinking. Blowed gasket, or small hole in muffler blowing hot exhaust on it.

it's always the muffler coming loose on these:msp_rolleyes: after i was done fixing it, i would put a couple of strips of foil tape (the kind they seal up ducting with) over that whole flat spot. it will add a small amount of protection. you see other saw manufacturers doing it now...

Maybe but the muffler I took off was nice and tight, hole still burnt through the top of the oil tank. Oddly also got a Husky 141 that came in the shop fried. Guy said keep it. I looked at it and noticed it looks almost exactly like that 36. The first differance I notice between the two is the 141 has a metal heat reflector under the muffler protecting the oil tank. I'm hoping I can switch the cases on these two saws, that little 36 runs good..

the bolts can be still tight, that doesn't mean the gasket isn't bad. you can see in the pic the direction the gasses were leaking from. could just be that might be the stinker with these saws. maybe the bolts aren't rattling out but the gasket is getting weak and letting the muffler bolts loosen off. could be the owner just threw a wrench on the bolts before giving it to you.

the bolts can be still tight, that doesn't mean the gasket isn't bad. you can see in the pic the direction the gasses were leaking from. could just be that might be the stinker with these saws. maybe the bolts aren't rattling out but the gasket is getting weak and letting the muffler bolts loosen off. could be the owner just threw a wrench on the bolts before giving it to you.

Well no, he bought the 36 at a auction for $60.00. It ran good but apparently had no oil in it when he fired it up at the auction. Whoever had it knew it had a problem and just sent it off to the auction. The muffler was tight when I removed it but you may well be right, the orginal owner probably tighened it before sending it off to the auction.

Will that 141 case inter change with that 36? If so I'm going to get it back together and charge him ohhhhhhhhh bout $60.00,LOL

I ran the saw a couple of weeks ago where the muffler bolts came loose. I am assuming this the culprit. The loose muffler allowed hot exhaust to blow onto the plastic for awhile.

I think I will grind off the burnt plastic, degrease the hole and apply some high temp JB Weld.

Thanks guys for all of the comments!

Rob Caldwell

I ran the saw a couple of weeks ago where the muffler bolts came loose. I am assuming this the culprit. The loose muffler allowed hot exhaust to blow onto the plastic for awhile.

I think I will grind off the burnt plastic, degrease the hole and apply some high temp JB Weld.

Thanks guys for all of the comments!

Rob Caldwell

That's why I got rid of my 350 and kept my 353. Mine wasn't quite that bad however.

I got a Jred 2150 That is alot worse than that one! Stupid owner before it let the muffler bolts loose. :msp_crying:

Back