bar oil shelf life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mer66

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
need to know how long stihl winter grade bar oil is good for in an unused gallon jug.
and also for that matter,a used gallon of oil.
read some info on stihls site about bio plus oil, and they said that the regular oils will separate over time. and become resinous.
did anyone else read this? could this be true?
well any way, i dumped a full gallon into another empty gallon jug, and didn't see any resin solids in the bottom.
now that i've seen this i wonder if i should just get new.

need to know how long stihl winter grade bar oil is good for in an unused gallon jug.
read some info on stihls site about bio plus oil, and they said that the regular oils will separate over time. and become resinous.
well any way, i dumped a full gallon into another empty gallon jug, and didn't see any resin solids in the bottom.

Is it pasturized? That makes a difference.
My Born on Date on my last gallon was Sept. 15 08, so I am glad I used it up quick.

mark, as you are aware, i read this from stihls site, and got wondering if i should put this stuff through a paint strainer first. dont need a failed pump from it.
20 years old oil wow!

mark, as you are aware, i read this from stihls site, and got wondering if i should put this stuff through a paint strainer first. dont need a failed pump from it.
20 years old oil wow!

Keep in mind it was plain old dino oil. Was in an old Mono/Wards that Dad had. Unfortunately, the varnish that used to be gas was that old too. Got it running, but the rubber in the carb disintegrated after a few minutes of running.

Mark

20 years old oil wow!

jeez, if your so worried about it,,, just chuck it for gods sake !!!!

on second thought, just use it ... if you have a gallon of bar oil laying around for over a year,,, i'd worry about your oil pump dying of boredom !!!!!

less reading, more cutting !!!! jmho

Some people use waste oil from engines for bar oil and the chains and bars
seem to be able to stand it without falling apart to any real measureable degree. So it is unlikely that some old "clean" oil is going to ruin your chainsaw today.

My opinion, your money,

Sam

to all you guys busting my chops,

stihls idea, not mine! i'd just thought i'd pass this information on, to all of you.

I've had Oregon Super Chain Oil go "stringy" on me in storage over the period of a couple of winter months. It was stored in an unheated garage that got down to -10C at the very most for a couple of nights. When you poured it mucous strings which were tough enough to fish out were present. I assumed that it was perhaps a result of the cold storage affecting the tackifier in the oil, but you obviously have much colder temps in the states and if that were the case this problem would be quite common.
I dumped the oil at the local recycling facility.

Back