Bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve tried a few b/c oils and regularly use Husqvarna x guard. It seems to be the most tacky. I’d use cheap stuff except I’m milling with a 36” bar. Anyone found a super sticky “value” oil?

I’ve tried a few b/c oils and regularly use Husqvarna x guard. It seems to be the most tacky. I’d use cheap stuff except I’m milling with a 36” bar. Anyone found a super sticky “value” oil?
Don't know if I would call it a value oil, but bel-ray is super tacky, the guys from the Cutting-Edge sell it.

Don't know if I would call it a value oil, but bel-ray is super tacky, the guys from the Cutting-Edge sell it.
Thank you Andy, I’ll check it out Looking to be more economical with consumables if possible. My 395xp with a fully open oiler empties at the same rate as the fuel tank.

I still got some Stihl brand I’m using up, but I’ll probably stick to the Tractor Supply once that’s gone. Keep your eyes peeled for a sale and stock up, it works fine. Their winter blend is nice if it’s below 30F or so.

If bar oil is more than about $6 a gal, I look elsewhere. A local farm store has been selling Mystik (Citgo) bar and chain for $4-5/gal, when it's on sale, so I stock up then. Stuff is pretty tacky. I also pick up CAM2 when it's on sale at another farm store for about $5. I've run all kinds of stuff, and really don't see much of a difference in the end. When the chain is hot, it all seems to sling off about the same. I mill quite a bit, and use whatever jug I have open. I max the oiler on my MS661, and also use an aux oiler just past the bar tip. IMO, it is definitely needed with whatever oil you're using. Too much slings off at the sprocket, to offer enough lube on the cutting side of the bar. Without an AUX oiler, I saw bar wear after a few tanks. With the oiler, I haven't had to file the bar yet.

If bar oil is more than about $6 a gal, I look elsewhere. A local farm store has been selling Mystik (Citgo) bar and chain for $4-5/gal, when it's on sale, so I stock up then. Stuff is pretty tacky. I also pick up CAM2 when it's on sale at another farm store for about $5. I've run all kinds of stuff, and really don't see much of a difference in the end. When the chain is hot, it all seems to sling off about the same. I mill quite a bit, and use whatever jug I have open. I max the oiler on my MS661, and also use an aux oiler just past the bar tip. IMO, it is definitely needed with whatever oil you're using. Too much slings off at the sprocket, to offer enough lube on the cutting side of the bar. Without an AUX oiler, I saw bar wear after a few tanks. With the oiler, I haven't had to file the bar yet.
I've always used the cheapest bar oil I could find. Mostly Walmart Supertech. Never had an issue with premature bar and chain wear and I have used a ton of the cheap stuff.
Now that I am cutting much less I don't mind splurging on Stihl Platnum or the like. Can't really say I notice any differance.
Years ago on this site Walt Galer, who worked for Windsor claimed that hydraulic oil was the best bar lubricant.

You could always add some oil treatment to the bar oil jug to get the desired thickness you want. It's that super thick honey looking stuff that barely runs out of the bottle at room temp. People used to use it on older cars with smoking engines to slow down burning oil out the tail pipe.

https://www.stp.com/products/oil-additives/oil-treatment

Attachments

• Casite Motor Honey.jpg
    Casite Motor Honey.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 10
I buy the cheap STP in a blue bottle at Wallyworld and add to my bar oil. It's very tacky and SLICK..Does the trick for me..

Maybe they do but none of my other saws use nearly as much. The 450 rancher gets oil every 3rd tank for example
I haven't had a saw that I couldn't turn the oiler up to use at least 2/3 of a tank of oil to a tank of gas (unless something was wrong)
I'd definitely want more oil than what your 450 is putting out... unless it's just turned right down I'd be looking into what's limiting the flow

I haven't had a saw that I couldn't turn the oiler up to use at least 2/3 of a tank of oil to a tank of gas (unless something was wrong)
I'd definitely want more oil than what your 450 is putting out... unless it's just turned right down I'd be looking into what's limiting the flow
It doesn’t have manual adjustment unfortunately. You’re right though- it should be putting out more. Think a couple others had the same issue on one of the forums. They didn’t notice any detrimental effects (like me) but noticed it was delivering less than the desired amount

Maybe they do but none of my other saws use nearly as much. The 450 rancher gets oil every 3rd tank for example
wow, every Stihl I've ever owned uses all the oil when set to max flow, and almost all the oil when left on "auto" or whatever the default is. Either the 450 has a massive oil tank or it oils at a much lower rate than every saw I've used.

Latest posts

Back