Bar size for MS462 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Which bar size do you guys suggest for an MS462CM? This will be for private property on the gulf coast (mainly oak trees). I'm debating between 20" and 25"...I'm worried 25" might be to big for hard oaks on that saw, thoughts?

I searched with no definitive answer

Agree with Stihl above. Keep a sharp chain and that saw should do it easily. Most everything I cut is Red Oak on my property and my 372 & 572 will pull a 24" with no problems. Have put a 24" on ported 562 and it cut well. Sharp chains are the key.

Personally I like a 20" on a 70cc for most firewood bucking duties. I also keep a 28" around that I can swap out for bigger stuff and felling. I don't much care for 24" bars. Heavy, but not long enough to reach the ground, so I spend too much time bent over.

Which bar size do you guys suggest for an MS462CM? This will be for private property on the gulf coast (mainly oak trees). I'm debating between 20" and 25"...I'm worried 25" might be to big for hard oaks on that saw, thoughts?

You came to the wrong place for a definitive answer.:laugh: Seriously the saw will pull a 25 with no problem. I run 20 on mine because of the size wood I cut. A couple less cutters to file on the 20.

I like a 28 or a 32 on a saw in that size. When I had a 462 on demo I didn’t much care for how it ran the 32, so I’d probably go for a 28. The 046/441/461 all grunt a little more and keep the chain spinning quicker. But it did run the 32. I’m not much on stooping or bending over limbing and bucking, working with a straight back and so forth, and I’m short, a 28 works pretty well for me. I don’t cut much real big wood anymore. If I did I would probably run a 32 and just let the saw eat more so than dogging in and leaning on the saw.

28” if it’s a lightweight bar. 24” if it’s not.

I’ve got a 28” tsumura light bar and .404 chain on my 460 and I think it’s just about perfect as an all around saw with that combination. It’s a very capable saw, but not so heavy that you reach for something else instead. With the 28” bar I can limb trees standing up and cut just about anything. The .404 chain holds up longer than 3/8.

About the only thing it can’t handle is milling and unless I had some huge logs to buck or some small job better suited to an electric saw it would be the first saw I reached for.

Like @farmer steve said, you have come to the wrong place for a definitive answer.
My personal take on it is use a bar that suits your work. You dont want to be constantly bending over to limb and buck trees so a bar that can reach the ground (or very near the ground) when you are standing upright will be really helpful.
On the flipside, a shorter bar is handier for cutting firewood. No point running a 32 inch bar to buck 20' logs into firewood. You will be running out of oil quicker and it will just be awkward.
Do you already have any other bars that will fit the saw already? If so then when you buy the saw get a bar in a length that you dont already own. No point in having two 25 inch bars when you can only use one at once.

I just got my 462, and ordered a 20" ES Light for average everyday work, and a 25" ES Light for bigger things. In hind sight, maybe I should have gotten a 28" for the bigger things. Its still new in the box, so I may trade it.

This saw has already made my 360 redundant.

I just got my 462, and ordered a 20" ES Light for average everyday work, and a 25" ES Light for bigger things. In hind sight, maybe I should have gotten a 28" for the bigger things. Its still new in the box, so I may trade it.

I find that the 28” on the 462 only gains me an inch over the 25” on the 362. The larger dogs eat up some of the usable bar length.

20" on that size saw is great for firewood. I use that setup a lot. Also, a 28", especially a light bar is great for felling and the occasional extra large firewood. I don't miss a 25" at all.

I find that the 28” on the 462 only gains me an inch over the 25” on the 362. The larger dogs eat up some of the usable bar length.
My 462 has the stock inside bumper spike, and the outer from the double on my 362 worked. I just had to open up the top screw hole. Looks and works stock.

Latest posts

Back