Bar Steel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been on AS for almost ten years now. In that time I've read where a couple guys have said they cut so much firewood they wore out 2 or 3 bars in a year, almost like they were bragging. I just kind of shook my head. I've got big saws with bars on them that are over 40 years old with no sign of roll over on the rails. These were saws of the 70's that put in 20 years of commercial use with my Dad, then another 20 years of use with me cutting firewood and milling. Then last week I pulled the 36" bar off my 660 to put the 25" on for firewood duty. As I lifted the chain off the bar I could feel a lip on the rails. I guess the 660 is about 4 years old now, and doesn't get near the use my old ones did. Does anyone know, or think, that they used harder steel in the bars way back when? Joe.

Just how many cords does it take to wear out a bar, IF You don't put any bar oil in the saw?

Remember those guys in High School who used to "Brag" that they got so Drunk Friday Night, that they Were Puking the rest of the weekend?

It's Them, and 30 years later, they are still "Bragging " that they puked all weekend long:confused::omg:

I can't answer your question about the steel then and now though, Sorry :(

Doug :cheers:

Just how many cords does it take to wear out a bar, IF You don't put any bar oil in the saw?

Remember those guys in High School who used to "Brag" that they got so Drunk Friday Night, that they Were Puking the rest of the weekend?

It's Them, and 30 years later, they are still "Bragging " that they puked all weekend long:confused::omg:

I can't answer your question about the steel then and now though, Sorry :(

Doug :cheers:
Yeah, that's why I said I just shake my head when I read stuff like that. But, I'm the one that always says to turn your oil button up wide open, and use at least a tank of oil with every tank of fuel. Then it was my Stihl bar showing signs of wear, and my 40 year old Homelite bars still look like new. I was really surprised when I felt that lip on the 36" stihl, and the 25" bar is the one I use the most. Maybe I'm getting some chain slap in it? On top of that it's my old Homelites that I've been using most lately. The 1050 with the new muffler and spark shield still in it is so freaking loud that every dog in the county left, and it vibrates so much the only thing you can get on cable is snow, and with the 32:1, the satellite can't get through the haze, and I'm in heaven, Joe.

It took about 1000hrs to wear out my first bar on my processor. Still useable, just the drivers bottom out. Have about 1600hrs on the drive sprocket.

I'd imagine a chainsaw would hold up to roughly the same.

Thanks Valley, that's probably a good comparison. With the old saws that were my Dad's, even though they were in the truck 24-7 for 20+ years, the little saws got used much more than the big ones. I just don't remember ever burning up chains or bars back then, and that was the manual pump days. When he started buying saws with Auto oilers, he made sure they still had manual pumps too, and he still kept on the guys to keep their thumbs pumping, Joe.

Latest posts

Back