Baraboo 2017

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good weather today to kick off the 2017 edition of the Baraboo Chainsaw Gathering located on a corner of the Badger Steam and Gas power show grounds. We had just a sprinkle around 6:00 PM but the forecast for tomorrow is clear with only 10% chance of showers and a projected high of 81°.

Quite a few saws on display today with some real quality stuff. I counted 4 BP-1's and 3 Solo 611 Twins plus a whole lot of two man saws about.

This is a McCulloch year for James Shimniock...

20170818_144227.jpg

...but he had to bring a few big Homelite saws as well...

20170818_144240.jpg

...plus a large assortment of 2 man saws and specialty rigs.

20170818_144257.jpg

20170818_144303.jpg

Modified Mark Meyers and CB Farmall Chris Bean came from Indiana again with a nice trailer load of vintage saws.

20170818_144336.jpg

20170818_144439.jpg

Beautiful 5200 with an original bow bar.

20170818_144434.jpg

Mark

Continuing along, local Bob Peterson has been focusing on two man saws and guarantees to have some running for the contest tomorrow.

20170818_144456.jpg

There are several nice RA's around

20170818_144513.jpg

Kris Licius AKA Nogoinback brought an amazing collection of vintage saws. Unfortunately his 101 powered saw suffered a debilitating failure during testing yester and won't be making an appearance this year.

20170818_150112.jpg

Those wonderful Homelites will make even a McGuy a bit envious

20170818_150128.jpg

Eric also known as emf123 has some pretty good looking saws as well. He is making this a father and son event with Brock who is an outstanding young man except for his enthusiasm for the Badgers...

20170818_145952.jpg

20170818_150001.jpg

Scott Mueller is the organizer with the Badger Steam and Gas club and always brings a nice assortment of saws as well. All those smoke stacks on the end of the line look like an industrial complex...

20170818_150245.jpg

See...

20170818_150255.jpg

Mark

Paul is another local that likes the really vintage saws, particularly of the Mall variety.

20170818_150031.jpg

20170818_150043.jpg

Kris's friction drive Sally Saw, there is an hydraulic two man saw lurking in the background as well.

20170818_150059.jpg

Scott's Von Ruden and the JD to drive it. When they ran this demo a couple of years ago the Johnny was really popping...

20170818_150237.jpg

I brought a few saws along as well.

20170818_150020.jpg

Should be another fun day tomorrow.

Mark

While spending a wonderful day at my wife's family reunion, can you tell that's sarcasm in a text, I showed her some of these pics. Even she was impressed. She said, "After the reunion why don't you go?" When I mentioned WI she got quiet. I'm making plans to see this next year. Nothing like it in PA that I know of.

While spending a wonderful day at my wife's family reunion, can you tell that's sarcasm in a text, I showed her some of these pics. Even she was impressed. She said, "After the reunion why don't you go?" When I mentioned WI she got quiet. I'm making plans to see this next year. Nothing like it in PA that I know of.
It's like going to Mecca, its so huge, you'll need three days to see everything. Make the pilgrimage, you won't be disappointed! Just don't tell too many people your name is Dahmer, we kind of got a thing about that in WI ;)

My apologies to Mark and Chris, I was in such a hurry to get home on Saturday (so I could leave my home at 4:30 this morning to make a flight) that I did not say farewell before I left. I will be staying longer next year to give us a chance to visit a bit more, or maybe in April if you make it back for the IA GTG.

The 77 was very cantankerous this trip but I did get it running and made a pretty good cut with it. Pictured above is actually my 55 which still place 2nd in the 5 In3 and under gear drive class even with the 5/8" pitch chipper chain. My 1-85 and I found a nice soft spot in the log and took 1st in the over 5 In3 gear drive class. All the other saws I brought ran as well as could be expected but no other award winners. Competition was very good this year and everyone had a good time. Young Luke that we all helped last year kicked tail in the under 5 In3 direct drive classes with some odd old off brand saws, Remington and maybe a Wards??? He also kicked Steve Melzers 090 and took 1st in the over 5 In3 direct drive. Some of the veterans have offered to help sharped his chains for next year.

I only took a few additional photos on Saturday but they seem to be on another computer so they will just have to wait...

What did you say Tim??? I did try to run my saws with the exhaust toward the crowds so they could share the full effect.

Mark

My apologies to Mark and Chris, I was in such a hurry to get home on Saturday (so I could leave my home at 4:30 this morning to make a flight) that I did not say farewell before I left. I will be staying longer next year to give us a chance to visit a bit more, or maybe in April if you make it back for the IA GTG.

The 77 was very cantankerous this trip but I did get it running and made a pretty good cut with it. Pictured above is actually my 55 which still place 2nd in the 5 In3 and under gear drive class even with the 5/8" pitch chipper chain. My 1-85 and I found a nice soft spot in the log and took 1st in the over 5 In3 gear drive class. All the other saws I brought ran as well as could be expected but no other award winners. Competition was very good this year and everyone had a good time. Young Luke that we all helped last year kicked tail in the under 5 In3 direct drive classes with some odd old off brand saws, Remington and maybe a Wards??? He also kicked Steve Melzers 090 and took 1st in the over 5 In3 direct drive. Some of the veterans have offered to help sharped his chains for next year.

I only took a few additional photos on Saturday but they seem to be on another computer so they will just have to wait...

What did you say Tim??? I did try to run my saws with the exhaust toward the crowds so they could share the full effect.

Mark

I talked with Mark and Chris last night when they were returning from the show and they said you did well with your saws. I might put on my big boy pants and see if I can make it there next year.
I'll bet there was lots of noise generated with all those old saws cutting.

Anybody know the attendance numbers for the show? This was my first time at the show and it was a lot bigger than I expected. Lots of cool stuff in addition to the chainsaws!

I have not heard an official # for attendance, but it usually ranges from 10,000-12,000 for the 3 day event. Thanks for the great pics Mark. The force was with young Luke this year as he swept the 5cu and under with a Montgomery Wards 5.0 getting first place and his Stihl 07 getting second. My Mac 250 has only been beaten 1 or 2 times in the last 10 or so years and his MG beat me by 2 seconds, I thought I made 2 good cuts. Same in the over 5 cu class, Z4lunch 090 has only been beaten once or twice and Luke beat him by a full second. Congratulations Luke, you put on a clinic. Your mother told me you work on your saws all the time and it sure showed! We had a record number of entries, the demonstration lasted 3 hours. The longest we have gone in the past is 2 hours. Thanks go to Eric and Steve for doing most of the timing.
Scott

Thank you.

Congrats are well deserved. I didn't even know what a Stihl 07 is, had to look it up. 75cc top handle, whoa! Your first down-cut with the SP125 looked like a hotsaw! You definitely raised the bar :)
Also, huge thanks to Scott (McC) and James S., who are members of the Badger Steam and Gas Club, and organize the chainsaw portion of the show. And thanks to everyone else that was there! Me and Brock had a blast, again!
Brocks 35.jpg

For those interested, it's always the third weekend in August.
Eric

Back