Baraboo WI Old saw demonstration/display Badger Steam and Gas engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This years dates are August 21, 22, 23 2015. Very much the same as in the past. The big "demonstration" will start at noon on Saturday the 22th. No charge to run your saws. We will be there all 3 days to cut wood and BS. Entrance into the grounds is free if you bring equipment to display. Use the exhibitor gate. Entry fee is $8 for spectators, children under 12 free with an adult. Here is a link to the show website for directions and other info.
http://www.badgersteamandgas.com/
The feature of this years show is Ferguson Enthusiast of North America, and National Graham Bradley and Sears Related Equipment.
Here are the chainsaw classes:
Antique 2-man, Antique geardrive 5cu and under, antique geardrive 5 cu and over, vintage direct 5cu and under, vintage direct 5cu and up, vintage 40cc and under "mini mac and others", vintage hotsaw. We use 1979 as the limit for vintage, so if the saw began production in 1979, but was actually produced in 1981, it still qualifies. The antiques are a little vague. The 2 man saws have been saws such as Mac 7-55, Mall 7, Disston. We don't want an 090 with a double ended bar competing in this class. There have been 090G's in the geardrive class. Vintage hotsaws have been Mac or West Bend kart powered. Modified vintage saws are also allowed in hotsaw class.We will have 10X10 cants for the direct drive saws. The geardrives will cut a round log about 15". The 2-man saws will be cutting something around 20"
Other rules: No alcohol/nitro fuel. Square filed chains allowed in hotsaw class only.
PM me with any saw related questions.
Scott

Glad to hear you will be there Steve. I talked with Les and he is coming again too. Bruce Minert from Minoqua is getting married that day, so he won't be there this year. He thought he planned the date so it wouldn't conflict with the Baraboo show, but he thought Baraboo was the week before the 22nd, woops. Kevin from Canada sent me an email and he is coming again too.
Here is a link to a video of Z4lunch and his west bend powered MW.

Scott

We will be cutting round logs instead of square cants in the direct drive classes. They are good straight logs, one will be 9-10", the other is 10-12", no bark, poplar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friday 21 August 2015 - I brought a few saws from home and picked up a few more here today.

046.JPG

Paul M always brings a nice collection of Mall and assorted other vintage saws

059.JPG

James S alternates between McCulloch and Homelite each year, this is a McCulloch year

060.JPG

Roger B also brings a large contingent of interesting saws

071.JPG

Mark046.JPG

The little wife and I are coming down today. I've been saying for years I wanted to go and this year it actually works out.

Thanks, Brian

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440307060.600551.jpgmark with some of the coolest chainsaws, Solo twin, BP1, Dolmar KMS4, and Echo 610 EVL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather was great on Friday and Saturday but after the morning thundershower I headed towards home rather than back to the grounds.

Some action shots from yesterday:

Scott and his son Pete running the Von Ruden hydraulic saw powered by his John Deere two cylinder

IMG_1097.JPG

Josh runs a Homelite 7-21 with a long bar and a helper but it was a little short on power for the hard maple log this year.

IMG_1100.JPG

Bob and his nice Diston 211

IMG_1101.JPG

James and his Diston Military; some helpers just look better in the chainsaw pants than others

IMG_1103.JPG

I got the "B " end of Rogers 940, we didn't do very well...

IMG_1105.JPG

Mark

We had fun with the under 5 cube gear drives

Bill G and his 041G

IMG_1109.JPG

My McCulloch 55 did quite well even with the 5/8 pitch chain

IMG_1111.JPG

Josh with his Super Wiz 55

IMG_1112.JPG

On to the over 5 cube gear drives, the McCulloch 77 does well but needs a bigger log to really show its stuff

IMG_1115.JPG

Bill's 3100 Homelite was a winner again

IMG_1117.JPG

James Homelite Super 1130 appears to be running just a bit rich

IMG_1116.JPG

Mark

In the 5 cube and under direct drive saws my SP81 finally came to life and unseated Scott's 250 for first place

IMG_1122.JPG

Runner up

IMG_1127.JPG

I ran the KMS4 and it did alright, just can't quite keep up with the 80 cc saws

IMG_1128.JPG

We had a new young man cutting with us this year, and Luke showed very good skills, this is his Stihl 07. Maybe we will help him with some chain sharpening next time...

IMG_1130.JPG

James 650 struggled, even after he put the chain on the sprocket

IMG_1132.JPG

Mark

In the over 5 cube direct drive saws we has a good mix, Steve (Z4lunch) ran his 090 and took home the first place plaque.

IMG_1142.JPG

I managed to follow close behind with my SP125, we'll talk with our young photographer about getting the pertinent details in the shot next time.

IMG_1135.JPG

Roger ran his Whitehead 820 Logger

IMG_1145.JPG

Zach ran a McCulloch 1-71 but at only 87 cc but it is at a real disadvantage against saws well over 120 cc's, the hardnose bar is a sever handicap when making an up cut as well

IMG_1143.JPG

Mark

There were three vintage hot saws running for the contest, but with Scott's growing family there should be more next year.

051.JPG

I don't have any good action shots of the hot saws, but Kris (nogoinback) let me make a few cuts with his 101 powered saw. I will really have to make a better effort to get one or both of mine going for the next time.

IMG_1162.JPG

To return the favor I let Kris try the Solo 611 Twin, it may not be as fast as some of the other big saws but it sure sounds sweet.

IMG_1166.JPG

To make sure there is something for everyone, there is a 40 cc and under class with good participation.

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

Mark

At the end of the day Paul brought out his IEL twin, what a wonderful sound this machine makes, plus he can make cookies and French fries at the same time.

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

There were two Stuck mini dozers on the grounds this year, this one was parked in a display

IMG_1079.JPG

This one was moving about in the back of a GatorIMG_1086.JPG

I didn't bring mine this time but we did manage to assemble the three owners for a photo.

IMG_1093.JPG

Mark

It was a great day

View attachment 442749

I managed to follow close behind with my SP125, we'll talk with our young photographer about getting the pertinent details in the shot next time.................................

Mark

Well Mark he is 12 and we are not all that big on technology in our household. Heck I thought the pics looked pretty good ?

I guess next year I will just put him on a saw.

We had another nice turnout this year and great weather. Here are some videos my cousin took of the action. The quality is low, he mistakenly had the image quality set low.
Mark with the Mac 210G

Bill G Homelite 3100

Mark McCulloch 1-85

Peter McCulloch 10-10 automatic

Scott, McC Mac 250

Mark Sachs Dolmar KMS4
https://youtu.be/yfNYWyZpf48
Scott, McC, Mac BP1
https://youtu.be/GWg8BndgmKk
More videos soon.
Scott

Back