Baraboo WI Old saw demonstration/display Badger Steam and Gas engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to get a bit of a jump on Scott (McC) on this one; the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Club 53rd annual event will be 19, 20, 21 August just north of Baraboo, WI.

Since 21 August 2016 will mark 40 years of wedded bliss for Mrs. Heimann and me, I was initially informed I would not be attending. With the way my year has been going she decided to cut me some slack and let me attend as usual to try and relieve some stress.

Exhibitors get free entrance so put a few saws in your trunk or back seat or saddle bags and come join the fun. Friday is primarily getting set up, making a few test cuts, checking out the flea market, and exchanging such high level technical information it requires a Bachelor of Science (B.S.). If you ask nicely you may even get to help peal some logs for the two man and gear drive competitions, set up the saw bucks and load up some cants, stake out the competition area, or just be the first one to enjoy funnel cakes and fried cheese curds.

I will try to get Scott to confirm but the following are the traditions:

Vintage saw races start at 12:0o on Saturday. Vintage means the saw went into production before 1979. Classes are Two Man, Gear Drive under 5 In³, Gear Drive over 5 In³, Direct Drive under 5 In³, Direct Drive over 5 In³, Mini Saws (under 2 In³, basically to allow the next generation of saw enthusiasts to participate) and Vintage Hot Saw. Scratcher, chipper, and round file chisel chains are permitted, Hot Saws are allowed square filed chisel.

Start making plans to come and join in on the fun.

IMG_1099.JPG

059.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

067.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

Mark

Mark, looks like a blast. I don't think I can make it being that's my son's birthday but I'm sure yellow will be well represented there.

Have a few of those gas powered circular says as well as gas powered drills too. Used them to build a bridge a few years back. Was easier than hauling in a generator.

Mark,

Congratulations on 40 years! I will be delivering my oldest daughter to Ohio State that day so no way for me to make it. As in the past, I look forward to pictures.

Baraboo Are those cookies for sale.JPG

Baraboo Homelite SW 66 1.JPG

Baraboo James Mc BP-1.JPG

Baraboo Paul Helmeid Mall Collection.JPG

There is more to see and do than just chainsaws. I don't have any photos of the tractors and such but the assortment and number of units is always impressive. this years feature is implements so I expect we will see all sorts of interesting innovations that never quire caught on.

Baraboo Stationary Engine.JPG

Mark

I have participated in Field Day of the Past in Virginia for over 20 years. We get 40,000 + people through the gates over 3 days, if anyone is in the Richmond area the third weekend in September stop by. I will be running the threshing and corn grinding displays.

Steve here... Planning on making the run out there...
If i can get the Mall in my trunk, I'll bring it, I've really never had it in wood, and would need to borrow someone for the smart end.)

Attachments

• IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
A little concerning not to see Scott posting on here yet. Hope all is OK.

Leaving tonight for the show with my camera, kart saw and money for food and flea market. Don't want to mention the need for a rain jacket but it looks like it might be useful. Hopefully the weather dude is wrong again this time.

Everyone headed to the show have a safe trip.

We are ready for the event, but the rain might delay the start tomorrow. Forecast is calling for rain until 2pm? There is a chance it could be postponed until Sunday if the rain does not let up Saturday afternoon.
Scott

There are plenty of vintage saws here already. Pictured below is Modified Mark chatting with Mike Jensen with the saws that Mark and Chris (CB Farmall) brought/

20160819_161011.jpg

I brought a few saws along as well.

20160819_161045.jpg

20160819_161055.jpg

Mike Jensen is a collector from western Iowa who made the trip with several very different models including electric and pneumatic.

20160819_163849.jpg

20160819_163910.jpg

James alternates between Homelite and McCulloch, this is a Homelite year...notice the waterline on the tires from the morning rain storm, saws were still in the truck and trailer at the time.

20160819_163928.jpg

20160819_163919.jpg

Modified Mark and CBFarmall looking over some of James' collection.

20160819_164008.jpg

Roger Bennett always brings an assortment of different models.

20160819_164122.jpg

Bob Peterson is a local with some interesting models including this drag saw.

20160819_164157.jpg

Mark

I want to give a huge hats off to Kris and his dedication to getting pictures. He has done a GREAT job. He refuses to take anything for what he does. I want to say that I am willing to kick in some cash to have someone both take still pics and video everyone next year. I am the WORST at either and I truly value those who can.

Yes Bill, it was a good day. The morning was dry until 11:45 when a shower passed over. It was done by 12:10 so we were only delayed 10 minutes. The demonstration lasted until almost 3. I'll post times tomorrow or Monday. I think the crowd and exhibitors enjoyed the event.

Latest posts

Back