Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How heavy of a ratchet strap do i nee to help prevent an ash from splitting. it is about 18 inches or so with a moderate lean to it.

Well, bigger is better, but for reals, once you have two or more wraps around it with anything stout, it gets really strong. Several wraps even with just a cheap tow strap is really stout. First time I ever ran a capstan winch I found this out.

How about learn how to cut it up right!
and we all know you never have a chair to set in and wonder "what just happened" after all your experience that never fails you! ?? lol? once you learn the correct procedure they will never occur again under any conditions! ?? lol false thinking will kill the best of us!

without seeing pictures and assuming its solid and good wood, i would recommend a plunge cut.

If instructions are needed, please by all means, ask on here or google or youtube. if you are unsure of how to do it then walk away until you learn the technique properly

I used to use just a log chain but that can't get tight, still stops a chair from proceding though. Then I went to the tie-down straps - one broke. Now it is logchain and chain binder.

Plunge cutting does work but I still chain them. Currently working a grove where every tree has a very wicked lean.

Learn something new everyday....I've never seen someone use a strap/chain to help prevent barber chair before. How far above the cut are you placing the chain?

Thanks,

-Pat

Back