Bare minimum of tools to give a go at porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My woods porting (just opening up the exhaust and intake) is all done with a Dremel and double cut carbide and a split mandrel with sand paper.
Just go slow, get a feel for the tool, and wear safety glasses, aluminum chips are sharp and hurt when they wind up in the eyes - ask me how I know.

But yeah, I mean I just play around, im not a pro and wouldn't ever sell my services, but its something to do.

Thanks for the tips everyone.. Im going to start collecting everything i will need. The test subject is going to be a husqvarna 55 open port.

How does this sound?

1. Old piston with sandpaper to cut squish band.
2. Shave the base to obtain .20 squish
3. Raise ports however much i shaved off the base or maybe a tad more?
4. Widen ports as much as possible.
5. Bore and polish exhaust port with out messing with the port timing expect for where i raised the roof. Match port and muffler.
6. Bore and polish intake port not messing with timing except raising the roof due to shaving base of cylinder.
7. .020 timing advance.

Watch him closely I think the last time he went to try to start and rev it, she stalled because he left the brake on? Need Stihl parts?

Think about it, man go to Walmart grabs chainsaw and chases people? News at 11 pm. Lol

No point in ever raising the roof unless you're in a club from the 90s?? Lower intake, raise exhaust. I wouldn't even mess with the squish band or base at this point. If you decided to mess with port timing I would get a degree wheel and learn how to use it.

Do one change at a time till it’s noticeable. Too many changes if you screw it up you won’t know which change you messed up. Go slow,

Raise the exhaust port and widen it. Lower the intake port. Match the base gasket to the cylinder and crankcase.

I ported three dirtbikes going more each time. The bikes were hitting harder and harder. By my last bike I did all the changes on I had a rocket on my hands.

No point in ever raising the roof unless you're in a club from the 90s?? Lower intake, raise exhaust. I wouldn't even mess with the squish band or base at this point. If you decided to mess with port timing I would get a degree wheel and learn how to use it.

Yeah ill just try the woods port first along with advanced ign timing. Degree wheel is outside my level of expertise at the moment.

Mickey mouse port job?[/
Yeah ill just try the woods port first along with advanced ign timing. Degree wheel is outside my level of expertise at the moment.

Try the muffler mod too. I’d raise the exhaust exit port inside the cylinder bore. And lower the intake port a tad. Do very little makes a big difference. Advance the timing, match the base gasket. That’s all.

Get a degree wheel and get at it! Gotta start somewhere so if you got the saw all apart, might as well do some learnin' while your in there. Scott Kunz youtube channel has some good info - just one place of many to continue your education.

Latest posts

Back