Bark battles_debarking trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowYouDoin

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time posting here on the forum!

I recently purchased some land and 90% of it is covered in trees. This is what I want, but there is a Beatle/insect issue and I need to thin the trees. I have some fairly large trees that I do not want to waste. They are infected but are not to far gone. I could fell it, buck down to sizes then run through a mill and use the wood for building/fencing. However, I am short on money and do not currently own a mill.

I need to get these trees down, but I do not want to buck them up and just burn them because of the bugs. I would like to debark them, thus mitigating any further bug spreading. Let them sit and season, then get a mill in a year or so.

The issue is I am working with Cedar, Fur's, tamarack, Pines, etc so pretty thick bark. I have searched the forum for debarking tools, but other than a drawknife, hand grinder or that chainsaw attachment. I do not see any other options. These options will take way to long for me to perform. Any suggestions or am I just going to have to buck these trees up and burn them. I do not like to waste wood like that.

Hoping for some insights. Thank you, everyone!

How you have brought up several issues that may or may no be solved quickly. What part of Idaho are you from. For most part the bark has nothing to do with bugs. Whether you debark or not matters not. However depending on where you are matters more in terms of seasoning and drying. If you are concerned about the Pine Beetle then the bark has nothing to do with their infestation. They do dig into the bark and lay eggs just inside the bark then leave to do more damage. They live on the nutrients that are coming up the tree just inside the bark. When the tree is cut down no more nutrients for them. Yes there will be some lingering moisture for them to live on for a while. The trees are vulnerable to infestation because of moisture and sunlight. When the trees are thinned well a much more healthy forest evolves. Many people here are experts at setting up a chain saw mill for lumber. My preference have been to use a band saw that are easily attained for under $2000. the chain saws types look like the cost is around $500 plus the power head saw. My take would be to cut the diseased trees down ASAP and burn them them ASAP. Through out Idaho there are plenty of trees to mill when you really need some large beams. If you leave the bark on the wood for an extended period of time the logs will rot much faster. Thanks

I am up north in the panhandle. If you cut the tree down the beetles are still living inside the barn. If you just let it sit with the bark on then you are not stopping and spreading. The only options are to chip or burn, right?
Do you have a site you go to to find a band sawmill for under 2k? I have not seen any that cheap. I dealy I would like to repurpose the wood instead of just chipping and burning. Sure, some of it will need to be chipped/burn, but a lot can be repurposed for building. Thing is now there is burn restrictions, so I am now again behind the 8 ball for dropping and burning.

I am up north in the panhandle. If you cut the tree down the beetles are still living inside the barn. If you just let it sit with the bark on then you are not stopping and spreading. The only options are to chip or burn, right?
Do you have a site you go to to find a band sawmill for under 2k? I have not seen any that cheap. I dealy I would like to repurpose the wood instead of just chipping and burning. Sure, some of it will need to be chipped/burn, but a lot can be repurposed for building. Thing is now there is burn restrictions, so I am now again behind the 8 ball for dropping and burning.

How yes you live in a moist climate so not much is going to dry out fast. Horror Fright has 20'' mills for $1600 plus $200 freight. Like I said you have brought a number of issues which maybe take some time to solve. Many times I have been on county and state projects which required a particular policy that may or may not have made sense. When the trees are down they can be sprayed with chemicals or what ever is available. I remember a few times Malathion was used which seemed effective, but do not know for sure. You CAN NOT drop your trees remove all the bark pile all the bark and limbs to burn. Just plain is not practical. My take is to drop trees get your logs piled and spray them then pile the brush to burn or burry. If you leave the bark on the logs there is a limited amount of time the logs can be left unattended because they will start to decay. On one particular job I had to cover all the logs with plastic and wait two weeks. To get the bark off the logs you will have to wait untill the logs start to season a bit to remove bark easily. My suggestion would be burry the brush then spray the logs then when possible mill the logs and be happy. Thanks

Back