Bark up or down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you stack your firewood?

• All bark down

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • All bark up

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Half and half

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • I dont even pay attention

Votes: 56 56.0%

• Total voters

TreeTangler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It's just come to my attention this afternoon while stacking some maple I just split that I have changed the way I stack out of the blue without even consiously noticing. Looking at latest of my stacks, I've stacked the bottom half bark side down and the top half bark side up. After contemplating for a minute, I realised that for some reason I thought the bark down towards the ground would help to keep the wood from absorbing moisture from the ground and the top half being bark side up would help to shed the rain.

Now I have no idea where this thought entered my subconcious reasonign as I've always stacked my entire stacks bark side down. So my questions to you guys is this: Do you guys stack bark up, bark down, half and half, or some other way? Please explain your reasoning.

Thanks guys,

TreeTangler

"A word about bark. Bark is like a lid on a piece of wood if the wood is stacked bark up. It will keep some water from being absorbed into the wood if it is stacked in the elements. Likewise, it will help to prevent moisture from escaping from the wood. So stack bark up if your wood is exposed to weather, bark side down if it is completely covered."

Tricks of the Trade | Northern Woodlands Magazine

Some de-barking ain't a bad thing.......

[video=youtube;jlJ7WLHfN8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlJ7WLHfN8A[/video]

"A word about bark. Bark is like a lid on a piece of wood if the wood is stacked bark up. It will keep some water from being absorbed into the wood if it is stacked in the elements. Likewise, it will help to prevent moisture from escaping from the wood. So stack bark up if your wood is exposed to weather, bark side down if it is completely covered."

Tricks of the Trade | Northern Woodlands Magazine

Wise words. Once the wood is dry the bark is readily available for kindling. You have essentially stacked wood and kindling all in one motion. Efficient and practical.

Whichever way it fits.

What happens when you get a barkless chunk? Would that cause panic and hysteria?

"Margaret - come quick! Thissun ain't got no bark - how we gonna stack it?"

Well if the stack has a rain guard then it makes no difference.
With no rain guard bark on top so it acts like shingles on a roof.

Wood gets wet quick but bark sheds water so IMO the stack would stay drier bark on top.

I'm in this camp - However it fits best. I leave it uncovered through September then put a tarp over it heading into winter. Surface moisture dries off quickly once covered but leaving it exposed to the wind most of the year seasons it nicely.

ny times weighs in on the subject

Bark Up or Down? Firewood Splits Norwegians

OSLO — The TV program, on the topic of firewood, consisted mostly of people in parkas chatting and chopping in the woods and then eight hours of a fire burning in a fireplace. Yet no sooner had it begun, on prime time on Friday night, than the angry responses came pouring in.

“We received about 60 text messages from people complaining about the stacking in the program,” said Lars Mytting, whose best-selling book “Solid Wood: All About Chopping, Drying and Stacking Wood — and the Soul of Wood-Burning” inspired the broadcast. “Fifty percent complained that the bark was facing up, and the rest complained that the bark was facing down.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/w...ood-elicits-passions.html?smid=pl-share&_r=3&

Whichever way it fits.

What happens when you get a barkless chunk? Would that cause panic and hysteria?

"Margaret - come quick! Thissun ain't got no bark - how we gonna stack it?"

I can solve that problem! I've got a couple of wheelbarrow loads of loose bark in the woodshed right now. Send me the dimensions of your barkless piece and I can probably find a match for it :msp_biggrin:

Well if the stack has a rain guard then it makes no difference.
With no rain guard bark on top so it acts like shingles on a roof.

Wood gets wet quick but bark sheds water so IMO the stack would stay drier bark on top.

Mines in a huge pile right now............but we never cover our stacks aside from the one we're pulling from.

Since the kids and wife help stack I don't care if it is up down or sideways.

I have always stacked with the bark up. But after having alot of sapwood rot under the bark of red oak I am going to stack it with the bark down. Thought being the rain will hit and maybe be absorbed more in the heartwood. May not make a difference. Plus, after no more than a couple years that red oak is going to be top covered for sure. Other species may vary on the importance of bark up or down. Locust don't give a crap :msp_biggrin:

Back