Bark up or down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you stack your firewood?

• All bark down

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • All bark up

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Half and half

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • I dont even pay attention

Votes: 56 56.0%

• Total voters
Oh; I thought wood stack outside in the wind and sun for 6 to 9 months under a cover would take out the moisture for the wood we have here in the PNW

Something like this but much larger

002-11.jpg

I just had to post about this :jester:

Is that a lumber pile or did you build a wall using cut-offs?

I try to keep the bark up when the wood is on the top of the pile because the bark is a natural water repeller and it will keep the wood dry. I mostly have it half and half though.

No, when you stack em bark up they turn into 2x6's! :rock:

i should take a pic of my stack ,barks on the sides ,because a lot of my firewood is waste from the sawmill ,sure stacks neat like H2H's pile though

"A word about bark. Bark is like a lid on a piece of wood if the wood is stacked bark up. It will keep some water from being absorbed into the wood if it is stacked in the elements. Likewise, it will help to prevent moisture from escaping from the wood. So stack bark up if your wood is exposed to weather, bark side down if it is completely covered."

Tricks of the Trade | Northern Woodlands Magazine

Very sensible advice. I stack my wood under a cover, and so I stack it bark side down. If I stacked it in the open I would make sure that the top few rows of splits on each stack are bark side up. The number of rows that need to be bark side up depends on your annual precipitation. The formula is as follows:

N = P/5,

where N is the number of rows of splits on the top of each stack that go bark side up and P is annual precipitation. For example, if you get 20 inches of rain each year, you need the top 4 rows of splits to be bark-side up (if you are stacking in the open). If the formula yields a fraction, then round up.

There is a lot of peer-reviewed science behind this, but I seem to have misplaced the references. :msp_tongue:

Doug

Ah what the hell, why not..... Who the #### cares about the ####ing bark or which way it's ####ing stacked, it's ####ing wood, cover the ####ing top if you can't sleep at ####ing night worrying about your wood. There I said it :D

Sounds like someone wandered into the wrong forum. :laugh:

Back