Bars with built in tensioner.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i work in a retail garden center i have had people try to return a dead plant that obviously had not been watered in days :angry: . some people just don't deserve to care for living things.

I think this Oregon engineer is trying to copy me. ;)

I find this bar tension system interesting. I do not see any reason why it could not be used at bigger bars, but then i do not understand why anyone can have problems with ordinary tension system either. I have one of Elux's Mac's here it has normal system, but the bar boults is pulled trough the case, this proventing oil to get to the bar.

Mange

The reason it doesn't work on longer bars or with agressive chain is that part of the mechanism requires a hollow space neat the bar nuts. The side laminations deflect enough that clamping force is lessened. Agressive chain or a lot of cuttlers (long bar) will pull the bar out of adjustment. It does work good for its intended purpose, short to mid length bars on small saws with mild chain.

IMHO, I beleive that the bigger bars, more agressive chain than the low kick-back, and the larger more powerful engines would make the built in tensioners worthless. The 220, is not a very big, but would not even try it on the 3400. Same goes with the 353, more torque, more power, I don't want the chain coming off, just because of lack of tension on a bigger chain, might hurt if you don't have chaps on! :)

Paul, That's the reason the bar gives fits to Echo 3000 users. The echo uses bar studs that have a very short useable length and it is tricky to keep the bar on the unthreaded section.The threads are a smaller diameter than the unthreaded section of stud.

Yes it is true that most customers of mine are occaisional users and shouldn't
be even using a saw. But in reality, all of them that have tried the intenz
bar hate it, and ask me if I can do anything about it. They really hate it when I show them where they have pull the bar studs through the side of
the saw, thus explaining where the oil leak is coming from, and why the oil
is not making it to the chain, and there cheap saw is now totally worthless.

I appreciate and applaud you for keeping an eye out on the web for
info regarding your product, but I still recommend people to not buy your bar.
Luckily I can usually install a standard tensioner so they can use it like a
normal bar, if I catch it in time.

Now the Stihl quick tensioning system seems to work well for the lighter
duty saws.

Sorry to not hop on board, but I am just letting you know the view from
my side. But in business, you need to keep objective. I have a knack for
pissing people off too.

It is true many consumers have problem with this, but then so is there with the ordinary. There is no system that can not replace or add braincells, but the thought is always nice.

Sedanman:
The reason it doesn't work on longer bars or with aggressive chain is that part of the mechanism requires a hollow space neat the bar nuts. The side laminations deflect enough that clamping force is lessened. Aggressive chain or a lot of cuttlers (long bar) will pull the bar out of adjustment. It does work good for its intended purpose, short to mid length bars on small saws with mild chain.

I still do not understand why this system would not work. In my opinion there is no difference.Laminated bars have hollow space as well, where this tensioner is placed and they work. Here is long laminated pro bars at least.
Another thing, the end of the bar where the cover apply the pressure is not really hollow, is it?!
After all this is new thinking, if it was sold for 50 years do you not think improvements were made. I like the idea. A new tensioner with every new bar.

Mange, The intenz bars have a hollow space right where the bar studs pass through the bar. Go take a look at the pdf file, you'll see that even a normal laminated bar would have more stock in the area of the bar mount.

Ok, I understand.
With that corrected the bar would work great?
The cover, boults and case has nothing to do with it?

Hva 254xpg.
I am going to get a Mac with this bar that is returned on warranty, I have one PM440 that has a regular tension system, and would test this bar on this saw, but same problem with this saw.
I will get one soon and try,but thanks for the offer.

Intenz bars on professional saws

Che, Sorry, it’s been a long while since we corresponded back and forth. I had it stuck in my mind that we resolved the issues and a bar was sent. Memory is the second to go.

Mange
Intenz and Pro saws. If Intenz works good on a consumer saw then it ought to work on Pro saws. That’s what I also thought. I spent 1 ½ years trying to develop an Intenz bar for the professional market. Problem, you professionals want the chain tighter (for longer bars), more precise tension (you have an exact expectation for tension), use more aggressive chains, use more powerful saws, do more nose buried or boring style cutting, and are starting to use saws with plastic bar pads and covers. I could not design a system that met the expectations of all our test loggers, several saw manufacturers, and our internal test standards for all those added conditions.

I had to face an important limitation, professional users do break the “on the saw tensioner mechanisms” that come with the professional saws. The tensioning mechanisms experience very high impulse forces. Those “on the saw tensioner mechanisms” can be made far stronger than the internal bar tensioner. They can have thick parts, I only have the thickness of a drive link. The limited space between the outer laminates was not enough to over come the impulse forces.

There are a few professional level Intenz test bars still working hard on Husky 350’s, but the concept just would not work for the entire professional market.

There is saw design that the Intenz bars work best on. The Intenz bar relies on the outer laminates (along the bar mounting slot) deflecting inward and clamping on the internal rack that is contacting the forward saw stud. The clamping action assists in binding the rack, bar, and saw stud as one unit. Saws with metal bar pads and covers work best with more professional applications because they deflect the laminates and hold the clamping force. Saws with plastic bar pads and covers allow the clamping force to diminish over time because the plastic slowly creeps when put under pressure.

Some saws with plastic bar pads and covers work exceptionally well because the saw stud has a shoulder that is flush with the bar pad and the saw cover has a metal insert flush to both the bar and stud nut.. This design contacts the bar laminates directly over the rack. When the stud nut is secured the clamping force goes thru only steel parts. No plastic is involved so the studs are not pulled through the saw case.

Even if the Intenz bar does not slip, the tension may not be high enough or precise enough for a professional logger.

Regards
Oregon Engineer

Last edited:
Mange said:
I forgot about this thread!
I guess the tension system did not get improved after all....

Not that I know of - I have all my saws with the old fashioned system, and they do not give me any grief...

A power head should have all of the parts necessary to handle a bar and chain without having to depend on the bar to complete it mechanically. I don't care how good intenz-like bar tensioning systems may or may not get. The concept is cheap, horse crap.

NeTree said:
All of which tells me that if you're not smart enough to figure out how to keep a chain tensioned properly in short order, you shouldn't be using such a dangerous tool in the first place.

See "Darwinian Selection".

;)
No offense, OE.

That was my impression also. Trying to solve a problem of people who can't or won't read the freakin manual. That is not a manufacturers problem, it is a user problem. As someone else said, "a solution to a non-problem".

Harry K

Once the tension screw was moved to the outboard side, I see no advantage of any kind for the intenz system, small saw or not. Yeah, I suppose you could retension the chain quickly with one but... Just how long does it take to loosen to nuts and turn a screw considering you are probably going to be doing it while servicing it anyhow.

Harry K

Back