Battery top handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is anyone running a battery powered top handle? With success? I'm tired of the fumes, the idling and pull starting every minute. A battery seems like its the way to go. Thanks!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I keep looking at the Husqvarna, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I've also heard good things about the 18V Makita. It is certainly less powerful than the Husqvarna, but seems like it could have a place as it is lighter and a LOT cheaper.

I have the rear handle husqvarna (120i I believe) and have been happy with it. I believe it is more of a homeowner quality so don't know about long term durability. I bought it last fall and the crew use it mostly around the chipper cutting crotches and such. I was thinking about a top handle for this spring but was hoping for a special, free battery, or some such thing.

Husqvarna did have a free batter last year. I was ready to pull the trigger. Free battery. ISA discount at TreeStuff. Had another 10% rebate coupon from a workshop I went to. Unfortunately the free battery wasn't eligible through TreeStuff, and they couldn't do the ISA discount. I was also going to sell the Echo 355T that I won in a drawing and hadn't used. Was looking at a couple hundred out of pocket. I didn't have time to make it to the "semi-"local dealer. Should have made time for that trip...but I've been using the Echo and it is a good saw!

The husky t536lixp is a really good pruning saw. I've had one for several years. Its the saw I use first while in my bucket truck on removals if I have smaller limbs to deal with first. Its not great if its really burying the whole bar in wood. Its great to not have to pull start a saw in those awkward positions you get into while rope climbing. Its very important that the chain is really sharp with these little saws. Its not a replacement for a gas powered climbing saw but its another great tool to have in your toolbox.

Are they powerful?

They are for under 12' diameter wood. The battery lasts a real long time and charges fully in about 20-30 minutes. There is an indicator light to show battery life and it is as powerful at the last bar as the first. You can get a 14" bar for it but the 12" is what I would recommend. As you can imagine, my guys were skeptical when they got them. At the end of the first day, they loved them. We do a lot of high end properties where noise is a problem. We will continue to get more, but not Stihl, at least not yet until they improve battery life.
Jeff

They are for under 12' diameter wood. The battery lasts a real long time and charges fully in about 20-30 minutes. There is an indicator light to show battery life and it is as powerful at the last bar as the first. You can get a 14" bar for it but the 12" is what I would recommend. As you can imagine, my guys were skeptical when they got them. At the end of the first day, they loved them. We do a lot of high end properties where noise is a problem. We will continue to get more, but not Stihl, at least not yet until they improve battery life.
Jeff
Awesome man! Thanks!

Back