BC 1000 blowing fuse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defensiblespace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We run a 2010 BC1000 with the Cat 2.2 49 horse diesel engine. We keep blowing the main fuse and it usually happens when the machine is chipping something that requires a little extra torque. Any ideas?

We run a 2010 BC1000 with the Cat 2.2 49 horse diesel engine. We keep blowing the main fuse and it usually happens when the machine is chipping something that requires a little extra torque. Any ideas?
Try one size larger fuse if that pops you have a short. This usually works.

Try one size larger fuse if that pops you have a short. This usually works.
This is a last ditch effort and I repeat last ditch. Connect a battery to the wire a look for smoke. You will have then found your short or disposed of said wire. Again there are far better options IE power probe. I personally use my power probe often. Great investment for sure.

There aren't that many wires on the machine. Just trace them through by hand, look for freying as mentioned, rubbing, loose connections (especially earth). If all else fails at least replace the fuse with the same amperage of auto reset circuit breaker to save yourself some time/$$$. I had a problem on an old truck that I could never solve. I suspect it was something inside the gearbox. When in reverse it would blow the fuse, but that same circuit also ran the dash/speedo, which also ran the exhaust brakes. I never did find what was causing it, but it wan't that big a deal with an auto reset circuit breaker (about $4). It would still trip out in reverse, but would straight away kick back in so no problem.

There aren't that many wires on the machine. Just trace them through by hand, look for freying as mentioned, rubbing, loose connections (especially earth). If all else fails at least replace the fuse with the same amperage of auto reset circuit breaker to save yourself some time/$$$. I had a problem on an old truck that I could never solve. I suspect it was something inside the gearbox. When in reverse it would blow the fuse, but that same circuit also ran the dash/speedo, which also ran the exhaust brakes. I never did find what was causing it, but it wan't that big a deal with an auto reset circuit breaker (about $4). It would still trip out in reverse, but would straight away kick back in so no problem.
I had that same problem on a Jeep Cherokee.

Only minor prob that can come with this is a draw could be created. This is completely mitigated if a master switch is in place and utilized. A quality multimeter or power probe device checking each wire to a good ground usually will reveal the shorting wire. Add some anti chafe or wire loom a the min some heavy wall shrink wrap on reinstall and you should have it licked.

So I checked for frayed wires, harnesses, etc. Found nothing. I put a 20 amp fuse in instead of a 15. Still kept blowing. I gave up and brought it to Vermeer. They found a bad switch. I believe it was the switch for the reverse feed, which makes sense because the fuse was popping when we put logs in that were near the machine's capacity. As soon as the feed had to work hard and then reverse the log to keep the drum rpms up, the fuse would pop. Well, I got it back from Vermeer, fed a bunch of branches and small logs into it and everything was fine. Then I ran a big log through it and the fuse blew again. Now I'm really pissed because I have to bring it to the dealer again, which is an hour and a half away and incur more down time with the machine. Replacing the switch fixed the problem in the short term, but something is causing that switch to burn up.

Yep thats Vermeer for ya! Too much electronic crap on them. My buddy was at the local Vermeer dealer this past week (to buy parts for his broken down Vermeer) and he said the yard was full of equipment and over half of it was broken garbage that was there waiting to be fixed! I have owned lots of Vermeer products and I finally fixed the problem for good by switching to Morbark!! I feel your pain! Been there, done that! I hope you find the problem!

That switch used to often fail when we were running a bc1000xl too. Sometimes in quite a dangerous way, like you couldn't reverse the rollers. Sometimes it would jam on in reverse, and you be standing there trying to wiggle jiggle the control arm to get it in forwards again so you could finish the job. Maybe too much current going through the switch? Could always put a relay in so the switch is on the extremely small amount of current required to flip the relay. Cost about $10 to do this and only takes a few minutes.

I know this is an old thread but if it may help someone that would be it.. I recently had the same problem with a vermeer model 700. It was a short located in the security pushbar. The wires passes behind the lever and it rubs against the lever creating a short. To clarify, the push bar is the red one located at knee height at the rear of the machine, it prevent being "sucked in" the machine while feeding it.. thats about it, hope it help someone!
ps. Pardon my french

Latest posts

Back