Be aware of your trimming partners...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL the BEST

Shiny new Member. Only dropped once...
Reaction score
So we got word today that one of our people was cut across the foot while brush cutting...

Not good.

Several stitches and back out of the ER.

EXCELLENT! No one died.

Then the whole scenario comes down the chain...
Ground man was cutting brush with saw on its side. Ok. Foreman approached said operator and mentioned that time was being wasted and would be better spent elsewhere.
Ok. As foreman began walking away the operator decided to quickly stump the trunk that was left...(guess it wasn’t just brush)

With the saw on its side, the hand on the handle on the side of the saw, there was nothing to interact with the chain brake.

And then the kickback...

So the foreman had only taken a step or two and the saw kicked back swinging out and catching the foreman across the side of his foot.

Two problems here that I see. The foreman violated the space protocol by approaching the ground man operating a saw, and then the operator knowing the foreman was still within arms reach began to cut again.

Be mindful of your surroundings and respect the safety rules.
Thank God everyone got to go home tonight.

STIHL the BEST

Not the same thing, really, but years ago we had a job to do some spacing in a stand of maple where the owner got a federal grant to clean up the woods and make maple syrup. We had about a dozen guys, they all get the briefing on when and where to show up, and I kid you not, half the idiots showed up wearing camouflage.

:dumb:

We tied yellow tree marker tape around them so they would be visible, otherwise you couldn't see them more than 10' away.

Not the same thing, really, but years ago we had a job to do some spacing in a stand of maple where the owner got a federal grant to clean up the woods and make maple syrup. We had about a dozen guys, they all get the briefing on when and where to show up, and I kid you not, half the idiots showed up wearing camouflage.

:dumb:

We tied yellow tree marker tape around them so they would be visible, otherwise you couldn't see them more than 10' away.

Well it is not exactly the same thing, but the biggest problem is still safety and visibility. So it is relevant.
When people are wearing camouflage in the woods where other people are felling trees, it is a huge safety concern!
So that was actually a very inventive idea tying the marking tape around them so they were visible.
Way to go! I support that idea. When you don’t have options you came up with the best thing you could do.
We are required to wear Hi-Viz on our job sites.

If I am in my own yard doing tree work and there is no one else around I’m not quite so concerned with being visible. But anytime I’m working amongst other people it’s always a good idea and I wear Hi-Viz then, even if it’s not required.

STIHL the BEST

I usually throw on a hi vis vest when at home cutting in the woods. Besides letting people know WTF I'm up to. Figure should something go bad at least someone might find me quickly. Not to mention random hunters ECT.

A new groundie I tried once turned up with a black hard hat. ****. The 20 yr old then spent the day telling me how to do my job :buttkick:
View attachment 762344

Should keep some shoot-n-see stickers on your truck...

Next time you can stick one on the top of their brain bucket.

When they ask “WTF?”, just reply I wanna be able to score the hit since you have made yourself a target...
:lol:
I’m only half serious since I make it a policy NOT to *uck with anything that is not mine.

With that said, if it’s YOUR job site, they get to follow YOUR rules...

STIHL the BEST

ETA: those are nice helmets, and they DO have Hi-Viz color options

Well it is not exactly the same thing, but the biggest problem is still safety and visibility. So it is relevant.
When people are wearing camouflage in the woods where other people are felling trees, it is a huge safety concern!
So that was actually a very inventive idea tying the marking tape around them so they were visible.
Way to go! I support that idea. When you don’t have options you came up with the best thing you could do.
We are required to wear Hi-Viz on our job sites.

If I am in my own yard doing tree work and there is no one else around I’m not quite so concerned with being visible. But anytime I’m working amongst other people it’s always a good idea and I wear Hi-Viz then, even if it’s not required.

STIHL the BEST

I didn't mean to change the subject too much, but you did remind me of that story. :)

I very rarely wear a safety vest, but they sell these magnificently visible yellow gloves here that are pretty decent in cold weather. Less than $15 too. My climber loves it when I wear them he says he could see me from space.

west-chester-protective-gear-work-gloves-hvy37165-l3p-64_1000.jpg

Back