Beautiful Oak & Foundation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakhelpfoundation

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've purchased a home with a 30" diameter oak about 5 feet from my back patio. It's a beautiful tree but seems to be causing significant foundation damage. The near corner of the 20 year old house had 17 exterior and 3 interior piers installed 10 years ago. The exterior piers are holding but interior is settling again. The structural engineer who I hired to inspect said the tree has to go to stop interior moisture removal. I hate to remove such a nice, mature tree but need to stop the damage. Is removal the best or only option? Appreciate all the help/advice you have!

Attachments

• IMG_9643.JPG
    IMG_9643.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9642.JPG
    IMG_9642.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 28
Structural engineers are great at determining how much weight something can or should hold, but not so good with determining how much a tree actually does impact a structure (unless it's laying on top of the structure). You want to have a consulting arborist come out to determine actual impact and also to determine if anything can be done to remediate impact to the house. You can find a consulting arborist on the ASCA website.

In my opinion something more involved with a ground issue causing settlement to have all that previous work to be done

A dead tree rotting away could cause a foundation to settle or a sinkhole

Latest posts

Back