Beauty and the Beast, Is it dead or alive? Please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a beautiful tree in the front yard, I think it's Lilly Pilly and I'm hoping its not termite damage that has killed it. As you can see from one side it looks like it is perfect and growing strong, looking from the other side it tells a different story.

I was told that half of the tree fell down in a storm and didn't look into it and now feel I may have a major problem on my doorstep. I did get a building and pest inspection and it found no life in the walls.

Any information regarding what's causing the damage and what I'm best off doing to stop it, remove it ect. As you can see in the images half the tree is healthy as can be, while the other side looking like a separate tree that is dead as a doornail.

The stump of the part that fell down is solid in parts, hollow and soft in others. You can clearly see the damage in the images but I see no bugs, termites if I dig into the soft parts.

Any information regarding the best way to move forward with dealing with the problem would be greatly appreciated, if I can save it great, if it's bringing termite's it's got to go.

Thanks for any help anybody has to offer.
I hope I can form an action plan on how to move forward.

Attachments

• PSX_20201229_182346.jpg
    PSX_20201229_182346.jpg
    839.4 KB · Views: 30
  • PSX_20201229_182406.jpg
    PSX_20201229_182406.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 30
  • PSX_20201229_182419.jpg
    PSX_20201229_182419.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 26
  • PSX_20201229_182443.jpg
    PSX_20201229_182443.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • PSX_20201229_182619.jpg
    PSX_20201229_182619.jpg
    891 KB · Views: 28
Hello all,

I have a beautiful tree in the front yard, I think it's Lilly Pilly and I'm hoping its not termite damage that has killed it. As you can see from one side it looks like it is perfect and growing strong, looking from the other side it tells a different story.

I was told that half of the tree fell down in a storm and didn't look into it and now feel I may have a major problem on my doorstep. I did get a building and pest inspection and it found no life in the walls.

Any information regarding what's causing the damage and what I'm best off doing to stop it, remove it ect. As you can see in the images half the tree is healthy as can be, while the other side looking like a separate tree that is dead as a doornail.

The stump of the part that fell down is solid in parts, hollow and soft in others. You can clearly see the damage in the images but I see no bugs, termites if I dig into the soft parts.

Any information regarding the best way to move forward with dealing with the problem would be greatly appreciated, if I can save it great, if it's bringing termite's it's got to go.

Thanks for any help anybody has to offer.
I hope I can form an action plan on how to move forward.
After doing some more research, I have drilled some holes in the tree in dead and live spots, found no sign of life in the tree, ant life that is.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again

Not familiar with the Lilly pilly, is there an other name for it. Where are you located?
I didn't see active wilting and die back in the live areas of the tree. Not knowing the cause, lightning struck, disease etc. All I can recommend is to prune out the dead leader and/or find some local knowledgeable arborist to help.

Thanks for your reply,

There are 60 types of Lilly Pilly, from my research the below two are the most likely suspects. Acmena smithii var. and minor Syzgium luehmannii. I live on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia . I have also been advised that the retaining walls were recently dug around the tree, so some root damage is very likely, other roots have been covered in soil I'm guessing up to a foot deep.
I only have some old pictures to go off and what I have been told by the realtor. I have been able to rule out White Ants and feel it's most likely a root damage problem.
That being said, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help with some advice on how to best help the tree with surviving the impact of the earth works.
Thanks again for your time and help.
All the best for the new year!

It's very possible that the die back in the tree is due to root zone damage. With construction damaged trees we try to maintain proper tree health. Water management, soil fertility, and address soil compaction issues. Prune out the dead and if you can remove soils back to the original grade.

Thanks for your assistance and advise, if the branch has lost all leaves but the wood is green, should it be removed?

Thanks Raintree, I can't go back to the original grade, but I am keeping up the water and have feed it some seaweed fertilizer that the nursery said helps with root damage or shock.
I hope she makes it

Latest posts

Back