Becoming an Arborist, Albany, NY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long story really. A guy (my second father i call him) was an outrageous machine. In every way he was a badazz biker. He would literally get drunk and take on as many of us younger teens in a fight and he'd beat the hell out of all of us. It was all in good fun and thats how we grew up. Small town, lotta wanna be thugs, we used to just fight in numbers. Weve had a party i remember when i was young, two towns, 150 vs 150 people. And we just beat eachother silly scrappin and drinkin. My parents have always called me "Seamus" (Gaelic for James, my real name) pronounced Shay-muss. That guy, old Mr. P died from a motorcycle accident in our teens but always remained a role model lol. Well that second father always took me on to beat ass cause i was the biggest of all of us growing up. 6'4" 339lbs at one point doing steroids and jacked as all hell. He used to get drunk and scream "Shay-moose!", from there, all my closest friends call me Moose.

RIP Mr P!
~Moose

Long story really. A guy (my second father i call him) was an outrageous machine. In every way he was a badazz biker. He would literally get drunk and take on as many of us younger teens in a fight and he'd beat the hell out of all of us. It was all in good fun and thats how we grew up. Small town, lotta wanna be thugs, we used to just fight in numbers. Weve had a party i remember when i was young, two towns, 150 vs 150 people. And we just beat eachother silly scrappin and drinkin. My parents have always called me "Seamus" (Gaelic for James, my real name) pronounced Shay-muss. That guy, old Mr. P died from a motorcycle accident in our teens but always remained a role model lol. Well that second father always took me on to beat ass cause i was the biggest of all of us growing up. 6'4" 339lbs at one point doing steroids and jacked as all hell. He used to get drunk and scream "Shay-moose!", from there, all my closest friends call me Moose.

RIP Mr P!
~Moose
Great story...should be saved for a book about your life! LOL

Wow, i've got a long way before i'd ever even be able to consider that type of... I'm not even sure to call it climbing... spiderman sh1t right there! Unbelievable!

[QUOTE="HusqyStihl, post: 5379555, member: 129517"....
About you saying "no" to the kit, ive been pricing both kits and buying everything seperate. Seperately it seems like i'd round out to around $2000 bucks, the individual pricing is unbelievable. And being new to climbing i almost wish there was a list of basic tools/ropes/saddle types/biners... etc. Ive read the Tree Climbers Companion multiple times and most of the gear listed i wouldn't be using while first learning to dangle in the trees and throw feces :laugh:
.....[/QUOTE]
If a kit has everything you want and not too much that you don't, then by all means, get a kit. My point was if you are buying things in a kit that you don't want then there may be no savings... Nothing against the idea if it works!

Wow, i've got a long way before i'd ever even be able to consider that type of... I'm not even sure to call it climbing... spiderman sh1t right there! Unbelievable!
Hey Moose,
What chance exists to hire on at a golf course in grounds keeping? Granted the work might be very seasonal but the experience and chances to climb might be favorable. Then for winter employment work in a small engine shop on snow blowers ATV's snowmobiles and chainsaws.

Moose,

I got into climbing and tree care last year. So far I've done ten removals for friends/family. All really good advice here so far, I've been reading and learning right along.
I bought Wesspur's Entry-Level Combo Kit (see here: http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits/entry-level-combo-tree-climbing-kit.html ) and have been very happy with it. I made a few changes when I placed the order:
I got a better saddle (Ergovation Economy) than they have with the kit; a friend who's been climbing for thirty years told me to get the best saddle I could afford to be more comfortable. The Ergo has nice padding and is adjustable over a wide range, also a good amount of gear loops.
I switched the climbing rope to Arbormaster Bigfoot ( http://www.wesspur.com/items/bf15.html ) and am very happy with it. It works well with a Blake's Hitch and now with a VT and pulley.
They give a discount on hand saws and safety gear when you buy it at the same time as the kit and I took advantage of that. I got a Pacific Kevlar helmet, a dozen Atlas gloves (they give EXCELLENT grip on rope!!) and a Samurai HD handsaw.
I also got a rope for rigging ( http://www.wesspur.com/items/sb1215.html ), a block ( CMI 5/8 stainless steel) and port-a-wrap. I made the whoopie and loopie slings myself from Tenex TEC per instructions from Samson.
After buying a few more odds and ends this year I'm up to a little over $ 2,000 in gear, but I always think that it's better to buy the right stuff once instead of going for cheap and then upgrading later, especially where I'm putting my life on the line.
One item I would not be without is a GOOD FIRST AID KIT!!!! Also First Aid/ CPR training !!
Since you're in my neck of the woods you might want to look into the Trained Logger Certification that Cornell Coop. Ext. does in NY. It is geared more towards logging but there are plenty of CE courses that are of interest to arborists as well. I took one last year on invasive species management that was a real eye opener. The courses are not expensive and most times they buy lunch :D:barbecue:. More info here: http://www.newyorkloggertraining.org .

Good Luck and climb safe!!

Moose,

I got into climbing and tree care last year. So far I've done ten removals for friends/family. All really good advice here so far, I've been reading and learning right along.
I bought Wesspur's Entry-Level Combo Kit (see here: http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits/entry-level-combo-tree-climbing-kit.html ) and have been very happy with it. I made a few changes when I placed the order:
I got a better saddle (Ergovation Economy) than they have with the kit; a friend who's been climbing for thirty years told me to get the best saddle I could afford to be more comfortable. The Ergo has nice padding and is adjustable over a wide range, also a good amount of gear loops.
I switched the climbing rope to Arbormaster Bigfoot ( http://www.wesspur.com/items/bf15.html ) and am very happy with it. It works well with a Blake's Hitch and now with a VT and pulley.
They give a discount on hand saws and safety gear when you buy it at the same time as the kit and I took advantage of that. I got a Pacific Kevlar helmet, a dozen Atlas gloves (they give EXCELLENT grip on rope!!) and a Samurai HD handsaw.
I also got a rope for rigging ( http://www.wesspur.com/items/sb1215.html ), a block ( CMI 5/8 stainless steel) and port-a-wrap. I made the whoopie and loopie slings myself from Tenex TEC per instructions from Samson.
After buying a few more odds and ends this year I'm up to a little over $ 2,000 in gear, but I always think that it's better to buy the right stuff once instead of going for cheap and then upgrading later, especially where I'm putting my life on the line.
One item I would not be without is a GOOD FIRST AID KIT!!!! Also First Aid/ CPR training !!
Since you're in my neck of the woods you might want to look into the Trained Logger Certification that Cornell Coop. Ext. does in NY. It is geared more towards logging but there are plenty of CE courses that are of interest to arborists as well. I took one last year on invasive species management that was a real eye opener. The courses are not expensive and most times they buy lunch :D:barbecue:. More info here: http://www.newyorkloggertraining.org .

Good Luck and climb safe!!

Wow, thanks for specifically giving me options to choose from, i will be sure to check them all out as soon as i can. Unfortunately i've been bucking and splitting wood alll damn day and wiped out! Its gonna be an early night for me and busy morning tomorrow. But i will research all of the gear you pointed out! Thanks for your input! Very much appreciated!

~Moose

Hey Moose,
What chance exists to hire on at a golf course in grounds keeping? Granted the work might be very seasonal but the experience and chances to climb might be favorable. Then for winter employment work in a small engine shop on snow blowers ATV's snowmobiles and chainsaws.

I was recently volunteering at the local small engine repair shop close to my town, repairing all types of power equipment from chainsaws, and everything you mentioned, to big old tractors, backhoes, skidsteers you name it. They want me back fulltime ASAP but without and income from that source, whats the point. Ive got a son to support and im sure any place loves free quality workers. Thats why i'm looking into the climbing knowledge and maybe stepping into the trade to make some $$ around here where climbers are scarce.

Wow, thanks for specifically giving me options to choose from, i will be sure to check them all out as soon as i can. Unfortunately i've been bucking and splitting wood alll damn day and wiped out! Its gonna be an early night for me and busy morning tomorrow. But i will research all of the gear you pointed out! Thanks for your input! Very much appreciated!

~Moose

I was recently volunteering at the local small engine repair shop close to my town, repairing all types of power equipment from chainsaws, and everything you mentioned, to big old tractors, backhoes, skidsteers you name it. They want me back fulltime ASAP but without and income from that source, whats the point. Ive got a son to support and im sure any place loves free quality workers. Thats why i'm looking into the climbing knowledge and maybe stepping into the trade to make some $$ around here where climbers are scarce.
Your success and achievement as a volunteer is bound to generate a better opportunity at another shop. That's the reasonI have volunteered for years. Employers are always on the lookout for good workers and a hearty volunteer makes a good candidate for employment.

Moose,
. I have taken down 16 giants and the highest bill was $5,300 where we were on site 22 days out of a span of 62 calendar days. To save the customer's lawn we had to rope drop everything until I hired a crane truck to pick the twin trunks and set them on a huge trailer. The stump base was 9' diameter and took 13 hours to grind with my Husqvarna SG-13. It made me strong while being worn out.

22 days to do a $5300 job?!?!?!?!?!?!? You making a career out of that tree??? $240/day in this biz is the best way to go broke. If we don't make $700/man/day somebody's got some 'splainin' to do.

22 days to do a $5300 job?!?!?!?!?!?!? You making a career out of that tree??? $240/day in this biz is the best way to go broke. If we don't make $700/man/day somebody's got some 'splainin' to do.
Its bad here what i used to get 1 k for I'm lucky to get 600 now I went from grapple truck and bucket new dully to essentially broke because 30 services bid same job and I'm always amazed how cheap it goes for. Most of the people in business here are more loggers than tree service and many to keep from working for someone else are happy at 250 per day its truly depressing:guitar:

Its bad here what i used to get 1 k for I'm lucky to get 600 now I went from grapple truck and bucket new dully to essentially broke because 30 services bid same job and I'm always amazed how cheap it goes for. Most of the people in business here are more loggers than tree service and many to keep from working for someone else are happy at 250 per day its truly depressing:guitar:
I however have taken monsters down here but I ain't going to be on a big tree longer than 2 to 3 days and usually 1!!!!

Guys, I saved the rest of this story for one or more of you readers to open the door wider, as did BCWetCoast and ropensaddle. I moved to Arkansas from north Florida in fall of '98. After I joined the Methodist church I recognized the opportunity for a ministry in tree care for the church property in hopes one or more of the men of the church would assist...one did for awhile then he got "C" and died. For 12 years I did these trees and covered the expenses out of my business. My business partner (from 2001-2007) belonged to a Baptist church and so we cared for his Church's trees at no charge. Then we did the local county Senior Center trees for free after we had joined that organization. This became a philanthropy for us as our business built by word of mouth, our results and solid integrity. But in 2008 things took a bad turn and got rough. Excuse me for a break here...As Gen. MacArthur told the Japanese, "I shall return".

~Moose

Off the track here but on the track of making money somehow. Yesterday I got another vacuum to repair. I think it would be more worthwhile to chop wood. I am into the bowels of it above the motor housing trying to get to the foot control and switch box. I can see it but can't get it to open wide enough. Customer said it won't run but it runs fine. That tells me the switch needs attention. So you guys in the thread have a great day,be safe and don't fix anything that sucks like this Eureka Air Speed AS1000. Best humor is to laugh at ourselves.

Im seriously about tree climbing for removal only. Ive got alot of work asked to be done and climbing. Ive got alot of gear picked out and im anxious to do so

Im seriously about tree climbing for removal only. Ive got alot of work asked to be done and climbing. Ive got alot of gear picked out and im anxious to do so

Moose,
In our "neck of the woods" and little part of the big world it might be tough to survive by just doing one kind of work such as climbing for removals. I have a friend who does it part time here while depending more on construction and handyman work to make ends meet. His wife had to retire for bad health last year from nursing so they have had to adjust their life to meet the income loss. An excellent climber can get referrals from mechanically-equipped tree services that don't have a climber on staff. To make that work profitably might require some good marketing. And uses of social networking on the Internet. But who is to say that specialization can generate enough income to keep you going?
I suppose it depends on market demand and the economy of your region.

OTOH to offer a variety of services requires more storage space for more equipment all of which needs maintenance. This week three calls came asking for estimates to grind a large stump, for removal of a dead tree and for bracing a codominant pine tree by a house. I am thankful to be skilled equipped and knowledgeable to handle all three projects. When and if your read "Delivering Knock Your Socks Off Service" and after you attend a TCIA Expo you be amazed as I was what a vast industry ours is. And all the while your skill and knowledge with small engines is a great base skill to turn to...almost like fixing vacuum cleaners! I turned yesterday's vacuum job out in two hours of a 26 hour spell and made $40 labor plus earned a new customer. I will call her tomorrow to follow up and ask how the vacuum runs.

I've been looking at the Matt Cornell rope saddle, looks plenty adjustable with the SRT setup and foot ascender and rope runner. Looks very versatile and can add alot to it. But i do hate looking around on websites, my shopping carts always end up near $2500 bucks :laugh:

Has anyone ever heard of, played with, or own one of these "latest and greatest" saddles?

Of course i always plan on fixing small (and heavy equipment of course) during any downtime. i'm lucky enough to have a couple friends that are millionaires here with all different types of construction, excavation, housing/apt flipping... all kinds of stuff. They throw me a bone here and there

Latest posts

Back