Beech Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Raske

Reaction score
I am looking for information of beech trees. Could you tell me anything about them? When is the best time to prune them? Is it possible to get a new start off one of them? Anything you could offer would be helpful.
Thank you, Steve

Most large beech trees are hollow and provide excellent den sites for a host of wildlife. The small, triangular nuts are very tasty and relished by man and animals alike. It is said the beechnuts may be dried, roasted, and ground to make a fine coffee substitute. Early americans also used beech leaves to stuff their mattresses. They also can live up to 400 years old. They are also very slow growing. It will grow the most between 1 and 6 and will grow to about 12 feet in the first 10 years. Then its slow going from there. You cant start a new one of a pruned branch. You can off some plants, not a beech. Beech wood is strong, hard, and heavy, light red in color, resistant to splitting, and takes a high polish. It is used for furniture, handles, veneer, and for food containers because of its clean odor. It also makes an excellent firewood. It prefers deep, fertile, well-drained soils wherever moisture is available in the upper layers. An arid soil is also prefered.
Hope this helps,
Darin

In your reply to my original inquiry, you did not answer my question as to when would be the best time to prune the Beech tree. Could you please advise me of this?

Thank you, Steve

Latest posts

Back