beer and firewood splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 Things:

1. If I have somebody to set rounds and toss 'em, I can hand split twice as fast as I can split on a mechanical splitter.

2. Is it even possible to split wood without drinking Beer ?

1. If I have somebody to set rounds and toss 'em, I can hand split twice as fast as I can split on a mechanical splitter.
Yes... but for how long?? And I don't mean how long can you hand split, I mean how long can you hand split twice as fast as a mechanical splitter??
NO‼

2 Things:

How about just have somebody else cut, split, load, unload, stack etc the firewood, and I will load and unload the ice chest, and unload the beer cans! I just love work! I could sit back with a cold one and watch it all day long!

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo67/jtoro/beerbustergif.gif

Thanks

To others standing next to droning machinery is no big deal, but I would dread it, along with the cost and fuel.
I used a 14 horse engine on my splitter. I rarely run it higher than an idle. But I still wear ear protection. As far as fuel I go through more fuel using the saw in a year than the splitter takes. I think I'm up to two gallons in the splitter this year.

Yes... but for how long?? And I don't mean how long can you hand split, I mean how long can you hand split twice as fast as a mechanical splitter??

I tried to ignore these kinds of questions the first time around, but here's an honest answer:

twice as fast is about my average also...the first day...yes, the whole day
the second day I'm about 1.75 times as fast...tapering off to 1.5 times as fast by the end of the day
the third day I feel sorry for the hydro/elec splitter so I back off to 1.2 times as fast
I can take the whole fourth day off because I'm so far ahead

wait...I said this was going to be an honest answer...okay...

**honest answer = twice as fast...all day**

you want proof, bring your splitter over and we'll race ;-)

I DO noodle nasty/knotty/crotchy stuff

seriously...this is why I don't fork out several benjamins for a powered splitter...if'n they were faster I'd be saving coin to buy one

Yep. That's how I do it.

How does the Makita do oiling the big bar for you?
Very good. It oils that 32" bar just as well as the standard 25" that I use on it most of the time. However, it tends to poop oil while at rest. My solution to that is to store it on its pull cord side. It's erratic. Sometimes it does not poop and other times it does. Other guys with Dolmar saws have reported the same behavior.

Note that my Makita has the BBK that takes it up to 79 CCs. That made a huge difference when pulling that 32" bar with full chisel chain on board.

Very good. It oils that 32" bar just as well as the standard 25" that I use on it most of the time. However, it tends to poop oil while at rest. My solution to that is to store it on its pull cord side. It's erratic. Sometimes it does not poop and other times it does. Other guys with Dolmar saws have reported the same behavior.

Note that my Makita has the BBK that takes it up to 79 CCs. That made a huge difference when pulling that 32" bar with full chisel chain on board.

Sweet. Im looking to get a 36" for the 394 and then I would throw it's 32 on one of the 7900's.

I was under the impression that the 7900's oilers were only good up to 28" so good to know.

Yeah, mine are occassional pukers also.

Great reading! We split by hand. Mainly my daughter split while I worked the saw. I've forgotten how many cords we've done since about April - maybe 3 or 4.

Her basketball coach took the girls to the weight room yesterday to make a point about thinking you're stronger than you actually are. Well, he tried to make that point. My daughter had no trouble with the 45# barbell doing any of the exercises. She needed weight added to the bar. All the girls wanted to know how she got so strong, and she replied, "Splitting wood!" It's her favorite exercise.

I would probably have a splitter if we could afford it. Seems like it would be faster for us since we get curb wood which is cut all kinds of ways without regard to splitting. After the last storm, I nearly cried at all the Elm I had to pass up on the curb. It was everywhere. I would love to have a splitter for that.

I don't know what a hydro is but my teen son uses one of those Northern hydraulic jack splitters. It takes forever, but that could be user enthusiasm level influenced.

Great reading! We split by hand. Mainly my daughter split while I worked the saw. I've forgotten how many cords we've done since about April - maybe 3 or 4.

Her basketball coach took the girls to the weight room yesterday to make a point about thinking you're stronger than you actually are. Well, he tried to make that point. My daughter had no trouble with the 45# barbell doing any of the exercises. She needed weight added to the bar. All the girls wanted to know how she got so strong, and she replied, "Splitting wood!" It's her favorite exercise.

I would probably have a splitter if we could afford it. Seems like it would be faster for us since we get curb wood which is cut all kinds of ways without regard to splitting. After the last storm, I nearly cried at all the Elm I had to pass up on the curb. It was everywhere. I would love to have a splitter for that.

I don't know what a hydro is but my teen son uses one of those Northern hydraulic jack splitters. It takes forever, but that could be user enthusiasm level influenced.
My older two boys (8 and 9) are obesessed with sports and also wanting to use my axes. I just cut a bunch of cedar for them to practice making kindling with the hatchet.

30 cord a yr give me the levers I'm not swingn the stick and the bigger the splitter the better just need a better beer holder mine goes flat or foams while shaking on the splitter and don't set it down cause then the dog thinks he earned a sip or 4

Thats like saying hand sawing is faster than using a chainsaw.:laugh:

Really depends on the wood. My record is 15 splits of oak in 40 seconds with the fiskars. Had pics of it here but lost in the great hack. I know that was significantly faster over the hydraulic splitter we were using. But..that splitter could do massive sweetgum rounds...tradeoffs. Nice clean straight grained, you can fly doing it by hand. Twisty or with knots, no, any mechanical splitter is going to be faster.

There's a video of the late Tom Clark racing two guys with a hydraulic splitter on youtube, he is using his home made axe.

This is getting to be a John Henry story. Least I think thats the right name man vs machine in that rail road spikes pounding contest of foklore.
I'm 63+ , I split and stack about 16 cord a year sometimes more- I use a hydro unit- prior to that some 14 years ago I swung a stick with a chunk of metal on the end. When you macho guys blow your shoulder out, tear a tendon, pull a back muscle come and see me.

Yep. That's how I do it.

How does the Makita do oiling the big bar for you?
Plenty oil supplied but chain speed so fast slings a lot off the bottom of the bar tip. Trick is to find real sticky bar oil- I also mod the oil holes on my bars by enlarging them a bit and grinding a lead in groove to the bar oil hole making sure that I fully cross the saws oil port. Not all bars oil ports on all saws line up that well ,I have found. Opening the oil fill cover when done & then resealing it helps to reduce the puddling.

This is getting to be a John Henry story. Least I think thats the right name man vs machine in that rail road spikes pounding contest of foklore.
I'm 63+ , I split and stack about 16 cord a year sometimes more- I use a hydro unit- prior to that some 14 years ago I swung a stick with a chunk of metal on the end. When you macho guys blow your shoulder out, tear a tendon, pull a back muscle come and see me.

I admit I hurt my elbow this summer, but that was being a doofus and trying to maul and sledge my way through knots. Stupid, eventually noodled it, which is what I have gone back to when I get into wood like that. Straight grained good wood, the fiskars gives me no apparent damaging shock.

I'll be 63 in a couple weeks old timer.

It's not macho, straight wood is fun! Sport! Some guys..whatever..go skiing, pick a sport, play tennis, swing another stick with metal on the end, and hit a little ball way down yonder...ya you still can get hurt. I just like my sport to have something to show for it at the end.

There's a place for everything working up wood, hatchet, axe, maul, sledge and wedges, hydraulic, kinetic, monster processor.

Plenty oil supplied but chain speed so fast slings a lot off the bottom of the bar tip. Trick is to find real sticky bar oil- I also mod the oil holes on my bars by enlarging them a bit and grinding a lead in groove to the bar oil hole making sure that I fully cross the saws oil port. Not all bars oil ports on all saws line up that well ,I have found. Opening the oil fill cover when done & then resealing it helps to reduce the puddling.

Hey thanks for the tip!!!!

Speaking of sticky bar oil......I love this stuff. I get it at a local Cenex Co-op and the price is comparable to Sav-A-Chain which I have normally used. This is a heavier oil compared to everything else available locally.

I really like it.

D9799A33-F151-4365-8F15-20B5EE70E795_zps54mqmjc7.jpg

this was posted before, but what the heck, Tom Clark racing the hydraulic

Holy.......crap.

Tom Clark........the Hero of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Anyone else notice how Tom's technique seems to be replicated by the Lever Axe? At least that is what I was thinking when I saw him lay the axe over after the strike.

That was impressive as all get out.....even him processing that tree.

Thanks for sharing that Zogger.

Holy.......crap.

Tom Clark........the Hero of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Anyone else notice how Tom's technique seems to be replicated by the Lever Axe? At least that is what I was thinking when I saw him lay the axe over after the strike.

That was impressive as all get out.....even him processing that tree.

Thanks for sharing that Zogger.

Yes, that is exactly it, that little flick at the last second. He was a blacksmith, that is his home made axe, obviously sharp......technique is vital using a splitting axe. Mauls rely on heavy weight, splitting axes on speed AND technique.

So far (hear them horns tootin in the background?) as far as I know, I am the onliest dude here to replicate the match splitting long ways trick.

;)

I am NOT a big guy, I am slight, and short, I HAVE to rely on speed, accuracy, reading the wood, etc to split wood by hand. Of course, some times I can get tarded, blowing my elbow out this summer was 100% tard on my part.

Latest posts

Back