Beginners are scary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spend quite a bit of time going over basic safety, handling, and dangers well before even showing them how to start it, if they cant get the basics sorted, they dont get the next lesson, same when I would take people to the range for a come and try day, so when they got to actually doing, they had a bit of a base to work from, and it wasnt information overload, and they could enjoy the next stage of actually doing, instead of it being confusing and sometimes dangerous.
Some people, I would just not bother with, they could not take instruction, or listen, or grasp the gravity of the situation.

I remember well- getting caught out at the first health & safety training day we were asked (forced) to attend.
Trainer had a saw sitting on a bench table outside and asked one of the crowd to step forward and start it- eventually one was shunted forward, walked up- grabbed the saw and drop started it..... fail.
Now comes me feeling all clever like- I had done some research and thought I knew these guys would run this kind of thing by the book.
So I stroll up all casual like as the second to try. Pick up the saw, go over all the bits and pieces to check it is in a safe order, check the chain rotates, chain tension, visual check of sideplates, check the chain brake for engage disengage...... ....... all by the book stuff, place the saw on the ground, boot in handle- choke on, decomp down, pull it around to TDCísh, pull the rope- pops on full choke- up to half pull it like I own it, saw fires up, blip the trigger so it falls into a nice idle......... FAIL.

Seems in all my smart arsedness, I failed to notice the pile of PPE sitting just a bit further down the table from the saw and failed to put any of it on!

But yep, seen some scary shite, patched up some nasty chain furrows in flesh, had some fast drives to A&E over the years, even admit to doing some pretty bloody silly things with a chainsaw over the years- but to this date personally- have never had a running chain embedded in my own flesh and bone.

I remember well- getting caught out at the first health & safety training day we were asked (forced) to attend.
Trainer had a saw sitting on a bench table outside and asked one of the crowd to step forward and start it- eventually one was shunted forward, walked up- grabbed the saw and drop started it..... fail.
Now comes me feeling all clever like- I had done some research and thought I knew these guys would run this kind of thing by the book.
So I stroll up all casual like as the second to try. Pick up the saw, go over all the bits and pieces to check it is in a safe order, check the chain rotates, chain tension, visual check of sideplates, check the chain brake for engage disengage...... ....... all by the book stuff, place the saw on the ground, boot in handle- choke on, decomp down, pull it around to TDCísh, pull the rope- pops on full choke- up to half pull it like I own it, saw fires up, blip the trigger so it falls into a nice idle......... FAIL.

Seems in all my smart arsedness, I failed to notice the pile of PPE sitting just a bit further down the table from the saw and failed to put any of it on!

But yep, seen some scary shite, patched up some nasty chain furrows in flesh, had some fast drives to A&E over the years, even admit to doing some pretty bloody silly things with a chainsaw over the years- but to this date personally- have never had a running chain embedded in my own flesh and bone.

PPE should be a personal choice and it depends on what you are doing. PPE shouldn't be required for a start up demo if you just gonna start a saw and shut it off.

PPE should be a personal choice and it depends on what you are doing. PPE shouldn't be required for a start up demo if you just gonna start a saw and shut it off.

Maybe in Texas..... but not here on a training day for people employed in day to day chainsaw use it isn't "personal choice".

yeah, ppe is a given.
chaps, steel cap boots, and helmet.
apart from boots, I have a bit of spare kit for others if they want to saw with me with their own saw, and learn some safer techniques

Where is that video of the grandmar given a saw, with no idea of what she is doing, and almost cuts her head off and a piece of tree goes over her head ?

It struck me the other day while attempting to teach a relative newb to operate a chainsaw how much potential carnage is just waiting to ambush a new user. When I think back to my first few days I'm surprised I still have both legs all toes and 9.75 fingers.
Me too man, I think back a couple years ago and how far I have come since. I am Not a pro by any means but I am fairly confident I am not going to get a chain lodged in my leg and bleed out in the bush. I’m always aware of where the bar tip is and where my legs are and the direct swing point where they could meet lol

Many decades ago (1980) and never ran a saw before I was fast at side stepping trees while felling. It added new meaning to on the job training.
It’s like sex the more you do it the better we get lol. I got to the point I could drop trees on top of each other. Quicker to cut them up with the truck closeby.

Near as dangerous as a true beginner first time saw user- is someone that has a lot of hours running a saw, but little to no falling experience getting asked to, or plucking up the Dutch courage to fell a tree that is a bit out of their pay grade- trees can be way more dangerous and damaging than saws if things go tits up. :eek:

As scary as Granny's video is- did you all notice she was a Southpaw?
How many of you have ever tried to teach a true lefty how to use a saw?
Sure all the basic safety grounding is the same, the don't do this or it will likely kill you is the same- but when it comes to actually using a saw and cutting with it, to a dominant right handed user- they look as awkward as sin!

Could be wrong, But the two cardinals I was taught is always have an escape route and always watch your tip. What I mean by escape route make sure that there’s no bucked rounds that you’re going to fall over any rocks or tall weeds clear the area and have escape route.
Oh, forgot one thing those widowmakers Death from above

Latest posts

Back