ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Ben you may have had some great Ideas.

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by alleyyooper, Mar 10, 2019.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Addicted to ArboristSite

Day lite saveings time was not one of your better ideas. the rual folks in your day had it right all along, get up at day lite when the rooster crows and go to bed at dark after a full day. No need to be changeing clocks. No need to remember spring forward and fall back to know where the stupid clock should be set.

Only reason retired folks need a clock is to keep appointments, internal clocks work just fine once you get it set properly.
    So today it the first day the TV Menu clock Matches the time of the program comeing up next. they have it set for ESDST and it never changes in the fall so all winter the programs are a hour later than the menu with summer times posted.

Also to day be ready to possiabley morn the death of loved ones. Heart attck risk are higher for the next 3 days, Being ran over by a sleepy driver is grater for the next 3 days also.

I say get rid of it and not force people to deal with the mess. Stores could open sooner if they wished. Companies could also open earlier if they wish. No need to make people submit to resetting clocks, micro waves, water softners and all the other things on a timer.

It has also been proven it doesn't save enegery.

Blame any mistakes found on the first day of ESDST.

:D Al

holeycow, Oldmaple, esshup and 2 others like this.
  2. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

A couple states are pushing for year-round DST, Florida & California for example. The argument hinges on an "improved business climate" So spring forward & stay there

Oldmaple and farmer steve like this.
  3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Addicted to ArboristSite

Michigan has a bill to abolish it.
    Doesn't save any enegery like it used to so it is worth less strain on people.

:D Al

Oldmaple and farmer steve like this.
  4. esshup

esshup Addicted to ArboristSite

I agree, leave it one time the whole year long. Now if we could just convince our state to go to just one time zone that would be even better.

I'm in Indiana. Where I live, I am in Central Time. I can drive 1.5 miles East and be in Eastern Time. Drive about 6 miles North and I'm in Eastern Time. Drive about 20 miles South and I'm in Eastern Time. It's a real PITA when you have appointments at a customers house - you have to ask them if they are on slow or fast time. Even some people that live in Central Time and work in Eastern Time keep their clocks on Eastern Time, so you never know what time to be there for an appointment unless you ask first.

Oldmaple likes this.
  5. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't really go by hours, or days, for that matter, so it doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

I get to work when I feel like it and same when I leave.

Oldmaple and TheBrushSlasher like this.
  6. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

Can't be done not in the northern states the sun would rise at 9 o clock in winter . The southern states would work better there sun rise is about a hour sooner .

7. holeycow

holeycow Addicted to ArboristSite

There are only two times. Daytime and nighttime.

My days are way shorter in the winter and way longer in the summer than any northern state and people here are seriously questioning the usefulness of DST.

8. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

They are shorter and longer here.

No sunlight in northern AK for ~70 days in winter, and no darkness for ~80 days in summer.

Here in "south central" AK, the shortest days are about 6 hrs of light, and longest days about 22hrs.
    Kind of sucks in a way, gets screwy if a person doesn't keep an eye on the clock. I usually try to shut down by 10pm, even though it's just as light as noon.

Right now it's light from 7am to 8:30pm.

holeycow likes this.
  9. holeycow

holeycow Addicted to ArboristSite

We have about 7:45am to 8:15pm daylight now. I am a little north of 56 degrees lat.

The turnaround has happened! Your days are longer than mine already. Cool.

I love the long summer days in June. It only gets “dark” for a couple of hours on those long days. It’s only really dark for a little over an hour. I used to feel guilty when I “shut it down” in broad daylight at 10 or 11 pm. Not any more.

I can see that having the sun never go down being troublesome. The Arctic in the dead of winter is very dark!

Ps, I forgot about Alaska when I said “my days are longer and shorter than any northern state”. Does Alaska count? Lol.