Best 2 stroke mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If cost is the only benefit then I will spend the extra money to not be rebuilding saws. My saws don't smoke at 40:1 new or old. Buy a flat blade screw driver and tune them. I bought my last thing of echo oil and 2 gallons of ethanol free gas last year. Still have 2 thirds of the oil and I need to buy gas. I cut a lot of wood on a container of oil. If cost is an issue buy an electric saw. Oil is good.

If cost is the only benefit then I will spend the extra money to not be rebuilding saws. My saws don't smoke at 40:1 new or old. Buy a flat blade screw driver and tune them. I bought my last thing of echo oil and 2 gallons of ethanol free gas last year. Still have 2 thirds of the oil and I need to buy gas. I cut a lot of wood on a container of oil. If cost is an issue buy an electric saw. Oil is good.
My experience:
Recently I was in Walmart and noticed premix for around 20 bucks a gallon.
At the rate I use petrol it would be insane for me to pay that much.
Once I bought NON ethanol petrol. Paid more for it. Mixed it properly, lost a string trimmer and a blower. Terrible stuff.
Most equipment calls for 89 or above octane. Newer equipment (most times) has been upgraded to endure some alcohol.
During cold weather I mix Midgrade at 40:1. In hot weather I use around 92 octane because it burns cooler.
Every piece of equipment that I have is holding up well with 40:1 and having a single mix makes life easier.
A big mistake is often in mixing. A gallon of gas is 128 ounces if we add 2.6 ounces to 128 ounces we've increased volume by 2.6 ounces. That is not a proper 50:1.
I measure 128 ounces in a container with clear marking. Then I pour about 5 of those ounces in another clean container.
Next I add 3.2 ounces of oil and 1 ounce of Seafoam. I cap the mixed gas and shake well. Sit on a level shelf and wait for it to settle. It will then measure near the gallon mark, usually just a tad less.
Next I slowly add the fuel I previously removed from that gallon before anything was added. When that mixed fuel reaches exactly 1 gallon there will be 128 ounces of fuel. In that mix there will be 3.2 (40:1 mix) ounces of oil and 1 ounce of Seafoam.
The Seafoam will stabilize that gas for a full year. It will NOT alter the Octane.
If I leave fuel in a seldom used saw, a year later I'll top off with fresh fuel and start the engine. My brother used Premix 50:1 from his Sthil dealer. Now, about a year of storage his seldom used Echo 600p won't start.
This is my opinion. Others vary but I'll mix mine like this until I die.
When I bought my 4 cycle Generator, I ran it without a load on a quart of my mixed fuel for break in. An old Mechanic taught me that trick. For his 4 cycle tools he always used some 2 cycle oil. Older 4 cycle engines used 4 ounces oil to 5 gallons of fuel. His opinion was all petrol came from oil and when refined to much oil is removed so he thought we need add a little back. However, only during break in or when I need to get rid of old 2 cycle fuel does mixed gas go into my riding mowers or generators. But Seafoam is used quite regularly. I was told - may not be true- that Seafoam actually helps stop the alcohol from damaging the rubber gas lines etc.

MR Wow How did you manage to "crock" a Blower/String Trimmer by using Non E Gas? All our Gas is E Free & we never have problems in a commercial logging set up I could understand if it was the other way around, also most quality oil contain a form of stabilizer so Seafoam is not a requirement ( just an up to you thing) If you are happy with your mix routine all is good but for a trying to make money business I think you are over thinking your mix regime I usually mix north of 25 litres a day we have a tank on the truck & I put in approx 12 litres of neat gas I have a clear container with a mark at 781.25 ML =32/1 ratio pour that in the tank & put in the rest of the gas to a total of 25 litres the action of the gas pump & the truck "joggling" about mixes the fuel we run a mix of standard & woods ported saws

1 gallon there will be 128 ounces of fuel. In that mix there will be 3.2 (40:1 mix) ounces of oil and 1 ounce of Seafoam.

Doesn't SeaFoam recommend substituting once-for-ounce as opposed to adding? Doesn't the 3.2oz + 1oz SeaFoam equate to 4.2oz of oil and a (30.5 : 1) mix ratio ???
I agree if you like your equipment that oil if cheap insurance. I don't think I should need to determine the atomic weight and and molar concentration for my mix oil solution.

Idk I used to be real great at math but I don't do much of it anymore. Anyways 128/3.2=40 so that's 40 ounces of gas to 1 ounce of oil. I don't think it will hurt to do 125 ounces of gas plus 3.2 ounces of oil but that's now 40 to 1 it's 39 to 1. I wouldn't use seafoam, the echo oil I buy stabilizes the fuel but that's up to you.

I put old mix fuel into my generator when I have it because that thing runs a lot when the power is out and it's not going to hurt.

My truck eats old 2-cycle just fine. A gallon or two into the better part of a tank full is unnoticeable for the most part once or twice per year. I usually think about it before a long trip as well.

I'm not one to go crazy measuring and mixing things out exactly. I don't burn through a ton of 2-cycle fuel and either get a name brand like Stihl, Husky or make sure that the rating of off brand & generic brands reflects a quality oil for air cooled engines. Wonder how many people have ruined air cooled engines with season clearance of bulk quantity outboard boat oil???

Idk I used to be real great at math but I don't do much of it anymore. Anyways 128/3.2=40 so that's 40 ounces of gas to 1 ounce of oil. I don't think it will hurt to do 125 ounces of gas plus 3.2 ounces of oil but that's now 40 to 1 it's 39:1 QUOTE]

Your math looks correct to me. That's the reason I never add 3.2 ounces of oil to 128 ounces.
I measure 128 then remove about 5 ounces. After the 2 cycle oil is added , shook and settled gas is added back to the mix so the entire content with oil and Seafoam becomes a total of 128 ounces. Adding 4.2 ounces of oil to 128 ounces makes 132.2 ounces of liquid. 132/3.2 = 41.3. Seafoam isn't a 2 cycle oil so I don't figure it. I try for a precise mix everytime that way I'm not retuning. I could be doing the math wrong but it seems like net content divided by additive would equal ratio. My brother was mixing 2.6 ounces of oil in 128 ounces for a 50:1. But with oil added the net content became 130.6 ounces. I figured 130.6/2.6=50.1 but 128/2.6= 49.2. not much different but still not Exact but error on the safe side. Then there is always that oil left in the bottle. A few drops but it changes the mix. You guessed it, I also wash the bottle. Ha. Ha. That straight gas I bought may have just been bad gas. I've bought gas in my truck before and had to add Seafoam to smooth the engine. I may buy some high octane straight gas next time in Shreveport. In this small town you really never know what you are getting. The pump where I got the bad straight gas didn't even have Octane rating displayed. It was so old I couldn't use a credit card. Probably, I'm splitting hairs with the measurements but I would never substitute Seafoam or any additive for proper oil. Good day.

Not starting a war here but I run 110 leaded fuel at amsoil 100:1 in all my stihl equipment in the 120 degree summers yes you read that right with no problems. It ends up saving me money because even though the oil is a little more expensive I use less of it. Like I said I'm not here to start a war.:happy:

Not starting a war here but I run 110 leaded fuel at amsoil 100:1 in all my stihl equipment in the 120 degree summers yes you read that right with no problems. It ends up saving me money because even though the oil is a little more expensive I use less of it. Like I said I'm not here to start a war.:happy:

I appreciate your attitude. In my opinion if someone gets offended by your choices they are immature.
Sthil makes such a good saw and Amsoil makes such a good oil good results are highly possible.
Life isn't actually a one size fits all though. A different saw, a different oil and everything could come tumbling down.
I'd definitely not try that on a cheap saw, Poulan comes to mind. Years ago I got a used Poulan 2150. That was back when Poulan was actually built in Shreveport LA. not far from my house. Those were great little saws. Someone told me Home light built their motors back then, don't quote me on that. The saw had no anti-vibration and for that reason alone, I started using a Sthil 024 more often but used the crap out of the poulan.
A excellent saw mechanic lived 20 miles from me and worked on Poulan saws. After a few years of hard use by the previous owner the pull rope was frayed so I took the saw in his shop. The mechanic fixed that and I ask him his opinion of the saw. After a close inspection he started filling the fuel tank so he could run the saw. I was not expecting that so I ask him about the fuel mix and got a sermon.
Four, 4, ounces of oil in every gallon mid grade or better gas EVERY TIME ,EVERY SAW EVERY BRAND.
He was emphatic. Turns out that subject was his pet peeve. He definitely impressed me and like a good boy I followed the rules until I bought a weed eater. Then the premix bottle came along with the bubble that let you add 3.2 ounces of oil per gallon. That became my personal choice even for my outboard boat motor. I think it's all about choices.
I've run ethanol for years and added 1 ounce of Seafoam per gallon into the fuel keeping the gallon a true 128 ounces by mixing half a gallon then after oil and Seafoam is added add ethanal to the 128 ounce mark on my mixing jug.
Recently, I located a place that sells non-ethanal in high octane. It's a 60 mile drive but once every few weeks I drive past there so now, it's still 3.2 ounces of oil, 1 ounce of Seafoam and 128 ounces of pure Gas. So far,,, I can't tell a difference. Except, the fuel cap on an older saw seems to have swelled. It was getting hard to remove. Thinking it's a result of ethanol the cap has been removed and is drying out. Before I blame ethanol I'm also looking hard at Seafoam. In time that will be solved.
Good luck with your choices and thanks for sharing. Good day

Amsoil says you can run 100:1. Seems like they have the most to lose if it goes south, so I believe them. I still run it 50:1. In the bigger picture, that extra cost is almost nothing. An hour of down time messing with a saw more than pays for all the oil I'll use in more than a year... My own risk/reward balance I guess.

I have saws of all ages and different brands. I have no issue with 40:1 echo oil and ethanol free gas. Run what u want I don't care but don't tell me you do it to save money. You want to save money? Throw the supertech 2 stroke oil in and run it. I save money by burning fire wood i cut not by thinning out the mix.

I have saws of all ages and different brands. I have no issue with 40:1 echo oil and ethanol free gas. Run what u want I don't care but don't tell me you do it to save money. You want to save money? Throw the supertech 2 stroke oil in and run it. I save money by burning fire wood i cut not by thinning out the mix.
My guess is good gas has more to do with it than changes between quality oils... Also more expensive - also worth it.

Amsoil says you can run 100:1. Seems like they have the most to lose if it goes south, so I believe them. I still run it 50:1. In the bigger picture, that extra cost is almost nothing. An hour of down time messing with a saw more than pays for all the oil I'll use in more than a year... My own risk/reward balance I guess.
Well you have to admit that when you burn 5 gal of fuel a week 2 stoke oil adds up quick.

I run Klotz in every 2 stroke engine I've ever owned. Do I need to mix it at 40:1? No. Does running more oil in the gas hurt anything? Depends on the oil you use. With Klotz, and I'm talking about 35+ years of building and running racing engines, I've yet to tear down an engine to re-ring it and find more than a small spot of carbon on the top of the piston. Very small. I'm suppose to mix the oil 50:1. I see these claims by Amsoil and their loyals of running 100:1. Klotz can also easily be used at this ratio and Klotz acknowledges this. They won't do something like promote it because all it's going to take is a bunch of blown engines for everyone to blame the oil used. I look at it this way .... I'd rather change a spark plug than have to rebuild an engine. Lean is mean, but only for a short time. To each their own on this subject I think but the question was would it hurt to run more oil ... the short answer is "no it will not".

MR Wow How did you manage to "crock" a Blower/String Trimmer by using Non E Gas? All our Gas is E Free & we never have problems in a commercial logging set up I could understand if it was the other way around, also most quality oil contain a form of stabilizer so Seafoam is not a requirement ( just an up to you thing) If you are happy with your mix routine all is good but for a trying to make money business I think you are over thinking your mix regime I usually mix north of 25 litres a day we have a tank on the truck & I put in approx 12 litres of neat gas I have a clear container with a mark at 781.25 ML =32/1 ratio pour that in the tank & put in the rest of the gas to a total of 25 litres the action of the gas pump & the truck "joggling" about mixes the fuel we run a mix of standard & woods ported saws
You are correct. Recently I've gone back to non ethanol gasoline.
Loving it. The GOOD stuff is almost 100 drive, 50ish each way, BUT my schedule has changed and I'm passing by that gas station about 1 time a month now so gave it a try. High Octane too.
I'm of the opinion where I bought the bad gas, sold me bad gas. The pump is so old it won't accept a credit card. The store is old and the fuel tank may be leaking. It's a stand alone tank and states Pure Gas on the pump. I don't member but I think it's low Octane. That's been 12 or 15 years ago. Hard to recall everything except my unpleasant experience. As far as it goes he's the only local vender that advertising pure Gas. I fully agree with you also about Seafoam. Now that I'm getting good high octane pure gasoline the Seafoam won't be needed. Old habits etc, I'm tempted to add half an ounce to a gallon instead of the full one ounce. Not sure HOW or IF, Seafoam effects the tuning of the saw. It MAY run cooler without Seafoam at all. Thanks.

My experience:
Recently I was in Walmart and noticed premix for around 20 bucks a gallon.
At the rate I use petrol it would be insane for me to pay that much.
Once I bought NON ethanol petrol. Paid more for it. Mixed it properly, lost a string trimmer and a blower. Terrible stuff.
Most equipment calls for 89 or above octane. Newer equipment (most times) has been upgraded to endure some alcohol.
During cold weather I mix Midgrade at 40:1. In hot weather I use around 92 octane because it burns cooler.
Every piece of equipment that I have is holding up well with 40:1 and having a single mix makes life easier.
A big mistake is often in mixing. A gallon of gas is 128 ounces if we add 2.6 ounces to 128 ounces we've increased volume by 2.6 ounces. That is not a proper 50:1.
I measure 128 ounces in a container with clear marking. Then I pour about 5 of those ounces in another clean container.
Next I add 3.2 ounces of oil and 1 ounce of Seafoam. I cap the mixed gas and shake well. Sit on a level shelf and wait for it to settle. It will then measure near the gallon mark, usually just a tad less.
Next I slowly add the fuel I previously removed from that gallon before anything was added. When that mixed fuel reaches exactly 1 gallon there will be 128 ounces of fuel. In that mix there will be 3.2 (40:1 mix) ounces of oil and 1 ounce of Seafoam.
The Seafoam will stabilize that gas for a full year. It will NOT alter the Octane.
If I leave fuel in a seldom used saw, a year later I'll top off with fresh fuel and start the engine. My brother used Premix 50:1 from his Sthil dealer. Now, about a year of storage his seldom used Echo 600p won't start.
This is my opinion. Others vary but I'll mix mine like this until I die.
When I bought my 4 cycle Generator, I ran it without a load on a quart of my mixed fuel for break in. An old Mechanic taught me that trick. For his 4 cycle tools he always used some 2 cycle oil. Older 4 cycle engines used 4 ounces oil to 5 gallons of fuel. His opinion was all petrol came from oil and when refined to much oil is removed so he thought we need add a little back. However, only during break in or when I need to get rid of old 2 cycle fuel does mixed gas go into my riding mowers or generators. But Seafoam is used quite regularly. I was told - may not be true- that Seafoam actually helps stop the alcohol from damaging the rubber gas lines etc.
Counting sea foam as a fuel component your mixing method makes a 39:1 ratio.

Counting sea foam as a fuel component your mixing method makes a 39:1 ratio.
Next batch I'll try it without Seafoam since I'm now using only one pure Gas to mix.
The OTHER big question will be,. by leaving the Seafoam out, how does that effect my carb settings.
That will be figured out after the fuel is mixed.
Danged, my right hand is hurting again. I'm getting to old. Was supposed to take a tree down for a guy today but think I'll wait a few more days. Good day.

50:1 Belray H1r. Ran both leaded race gas, and unleaded 90 pump gas. As well as non-ethanol 90 pump gas. All 3 saws are more than 5 years old. They all run well. When the belray h1r is all used up, I'll be back to 1 stihl silver bottle per gallon. Tuned right, your saw should go fine from 32:1 to 100:1. Anything above 40:1 I think should be the synthetic premix's however. Remember, if you arn't mix'n gas, you aren't kick'n ass. lol

Latest posts

Back