BEST 60cc saw ever built !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some how I have a hard time believing that any of these antiques being discussed are "the best".
What’s hard to believe? These “antiques” predate auto tune/m-tropic and therefore avoided the hot start issues that plagued them both, trips to the dealer for software updates (if said dealer was so equipped), or giving up and buying a newer updated version sometimes with the same results. No thanks, I believe I’ll keep all my non computerized antiques, because they are the best.

What’s hard to believe? These “antiques” predate auto tune/m-tropic and therefore avoided the hot start issues that plagued them both, trips to the dealer for software updates (if said dealer was so equipped), or giving up and buying a newer updated version sometimes with the same results. No thanks, I believe I’ll keep all my non computerized antiques, because they are the best.
As for my experience with all Stihls.
Both new and old have good and bad points I find the old vibrate like hell the new stuff is smooth. The old stuff is easy to trouble shoot and work on where the new stuff you may have more trouble finding the weird problem. Personally I have both. The new ones are better until they break.

First of all most of these "antiques" predate the generation of saws prior to the current generation of autotune/Mtronic saws. In same case you are talking about stuff that's from the 70's. 40 some years ago..
Second off Mtronic/Autotune are of great benifit to most guys, because they can't set a carb to save their lives. Neither of these systems are all that complex or difficult to trouble shoot. In fact they are pretty damn simple. Where there some teething problems? No doubt. With that said I had a first generation Husly 562xp that I had no issues with at all. I currently have a 400c with no issues at all and that includes cutting in very hot temps recently. It's also very nice not having to tune your saw when one week your cutting at 3500' and 98 degrees and the next at 60 and 8500' like I did recently.

After a few years to think on this ill now say 70-75cc is hands down a far better 60cc saw
For who? Not for me. I’m 49yo and been heating my house primarily with firewood for the last 16 years. I used to cut everything I could find but my back is tired of handling those heavy rounds. Anything larger than 22”dia or so I will leave in the woods. (Unless I’m desperate) Most of what I take is more like 8”-18”. The 361 cuts that stuff with ease. Why would I want to lug a 70cc saw around? I even took the 24” bar off and primarily use a 20” now. 60cc is my sweet spot.

Plus I installed a heat pump this year so I feel like my firewood use will drop some. Still love a fire but kinda looking forward to not having to constantly load the wood stove all winter.

For who? Not for me. I’m 49yo and been heating my house primarily with firewood for the last 16 years. I used to cut everything I could find but my back is tired of handling those heavy rounds. Anything larger than 22”dia or so I will leave in the woods. (Unless I’m desperate) Most of what I take is more like 8”-18”. The 361 cuts that stuff with ease. Why would I want to lug a 70cc saw around? I even took the 24” bar off and primarily use a 20” now. 60cc is my sweet spot.

Plus I installed a heat pump this year so I feel like my firewood use will drop some. Still love a fire but kinda looking forward to not having to constantly load the wood stove all winter.

Just wait until you are in your 60's!

For me, a MS-261C-M is the best saw, as its hard to beat it's 50cc power to weight ratio.

Back