BEST 60cc saw ever built !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best 60cc saw? 20 years? But how about best for what?

The 162/262 Husky (and it's close cousin 630 Jonny) are wonderful saws, arent they? Popular out west as limbing saws or on small and medium wood because they're fast. But they aren't as popular in the midwest and east, where some users like a friendlier powerband for hardwood.

And besides, the 162 grandfather saw came out in like what, 1978? That's 30 years.

My vote would be for saws like the Husky 61/Jonny 625: not the best at any one thing, but pretty good at anything within their range. They sold lots of them for years and years, which says that they were well liked, and dealers will usually have parts on hand. Someone needing an all-around saw in that size range would be very well-served.

For the same reason, the 036/361 Stihls might get my vote, too. Except I like the Swede saws better, myself.

My vote goes out to the 262xp and then the 036.

I really like the way a 262 handles a 18in bar. . . . great blockin fire wood and a blast to chop with in limby pine and spruce.

i know stock they are under your specs but i love my 270 awesome speed and power after a muffler mod

Last edited:
In the 60cc class my vote will go for the Jonsered 630 Super. And yes I like it better than my Stihl 036 Pro. I've never had the pleasure to even lay eyes on a 262xp, but It sounds like a well liked saw here in this forum. Rick!

Hey,

Weren't the old 038 supers in the 60 cc range? If so, these were darned good saws. I'm not talking about the 038 Magnum, different saw entirely... Surprised no one has mentioned the 038 but then maybe it was on the tall side of 60 cc's....

Before I let loose with my opinions here I want to state that I have actually run every single model saw that I am going to mention, which likely puts me in a minority here. You can't say that "A" is better than "B", if you have only run one of them.

This will no doubt irritate a lot of guys but BOTH the MS361 and the legendary 262XP are very overated. They are both good saws, but neither lives up to the hype. The 357XP/2156 will run with either one, so I'm surprised so few guys mention it. I sold a 357 to a member who had two MS361's and he said the 357 beat them both convincingly. 962 Olympyk or whatever it's called now is also a good 60cc saw.

There are a lot of great saws in the 60cc class that do suffer a weight penalty vs. the 262/361 since they are essentially smaller displacement cylinders on a family chassis. (362XP, Dolmar 6400, etc) But in power, they give nothing up, and in many cases have some advantages that can give them more, ie: same carb and muffler as their big brothers, but too large a crankcase volume can cancel some of that out.

I have a few 041's, and despite their age, they still deserve a lot of respect. After all, that saw sort of established the 60cc class, and stayed near the top of it for a good long time. They just pull and pull. And ya gotta love the way they sound.

My personal favorite in this comparison is the 630Super. But if we just want to talk about sheer power, winner take home all the money, the strongest 60cc saw I ever had was a Sachs-Dolmar 116SI. That thing absolutely ripped, and it had more nuts than any other 60cc saw I've ever run. Some like the 630Super might be close, but none would take it.

This will no doubt irritate a lot of guys but BOTH the MS361 and the legendary 262XP are very overated. They are both good saws, but neither lives up to the hype. The 357XP/2156 will run with either one, so I'm surprised so few guys mention it. I sold a 357 to a member who had two MS361's and he said the 357 beat them both convincingly.

True Dat. 2156 ROCKS:bowdown:

The only knock on a 630 is that it's heavier and has an outboard clutch. It is imo a production firewood cutter's ideal saw. It has the heavier chassis and crank and is tough as hell, and will keep up with any saw in firewood sized wood.

True Dat. 2156 ROCKS:bowdown:

Stop that...my 2159 is at the shop (no start, flooding big time, think it needs a carb), and I keep looking at the new 2156 hanging up there calling me...

And I also had to go by the evil Orange Box last night, and I'm guessing from the age of the rental saws (and a quick chat with the department head), there may be some 6401s coming up for sale soon. A $225 6401, or even better, a $425 7900, mmmmm.

And I nearly stopped at a yard sale today because I saw some old Jonsereds there, but my wife and kids were in the car and I got the "you already have two chainsaws" line....are these signs of CAD?

:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back