Best B & C for an echo 490 .325 vs 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markup98

Reaction score
Hello, I'm cutting mostly 10" diameter white oak and wandering what size bar and chain would be best for a 490 with mm and limiter caps removed. Should I stay with .325 or get set up to run 3/8.

Awesome, .325 it is. So my next question is what chain out there will be the best hand for my buck and I'll probably grab a spare bar while I'm at.

So my next question is what chain out there will be the best hand for my buck
There are some great deals, from time to time, on Ebay. Last year I bought three 16" Carlton chains for 31 bucks, delivered.

I have gotten great service from Husky-branded chains. I understand they are made by Oregon.

20 series Oregon LPX is a proven chain if you are sticking with .325.

I wouldn’t be against looking at 3/8LP for that saw either if you can source the sprocket and chain.

Awesome, .325 it is. So my next question is what chain out there will be the best hand for my buck and I'll probably grab a spare bar while I'm at.
Frawleys Saw Shop out of Iowa has Oregon chain on sale from time to time. The more you buy the cheaper it is also. Shipping is always included in the price. They have a sister site called Loggerchain. I bought from them upon a recommendation from a member here, couldn't have been happier.

Frawleys Saw Shop out of Iowa has Oregon chain on sale from time to time. The more you buy the cheaper it is also. Shipping is always included in the price. They have a sister site called Loggerchain. I bought from them upon a recommendation from a member here, couldn't have been happier.

speaking of chain, my ace hardware made me up some stihl non safety chain 72D for like $23 each! Looks like full chisel to me. I thought that was reasonable.

I have bought from them many times. Good people to work with.

Back