Best bang for buck.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makita 4300/Dolmar 421

no contest. Most power, best build, best antivibe, best filtration....

the ms250, cs400 and cs490 aren't even close, even if they are reasonable choices
After all of the talk and hype I was really excited to get my mitts on a 490 last year. What a disappointment!

I have merely rolled one around in my hands. It sure feels light and handy, that 490. But kinda cheap-ish feeling too. Certainly not in the same league as a 421. But I would still like to give one a try.

Makita 4300/Dolmar 421

no contest. Most power, best build, best antivibe, best filtration....

the ms250, cs400 and cs490 aren't even close, even if they are reasonable choices
Those do hold a lot of liquids as well. The no contest part note it is an open port design that needs a catalyst to meet emission standards and there really is no chain catcher.

After all of the talk and hype I was really excited to get my mitts on a 490 last year. What a disappointment!
humm? Never used one, what was the disappointment ? What about the 590 ? , a lot of people on this site rave about the 490/590 saws , i did forget about the dolmar/makita saws as they are also a fine saws, other than weight , however this can also be said about the new Husqvarna line of saws, ae : 550xp mII and the 572xp ....

MS880. Hope you got $2k. Any chainsaw less than that is worthless like my guy up there said. lolz

But for real Mak/Dolmar 4300 x 5 or whatever we are up to at this point. I bought mine for $175 on ebay in very good used shape. If you can't find one of those husky 350s are all over cl and fb marketplace all the time for cheap and they're pretty good. Don't think to hard about it anything in good shape near by for $150-250 in the 40-60cc range would be a good candidate just make sure you have good, sharp chain! Sh1t I picked up a poulan 5020 the other day for $50 and what you're talking about it would handle nicely. I would never buy a new saw but that's me.

Utter lack of power. I had at least 350 Husky level power in my mind. Nope... I will say I tried a 501 Echo last December and it impressed.
I haven't tried one.
i see interesting ...

590 is a lot bigger. Lot bigger, bulky even.
so not impressive i am guessing?, just asking because i was interest in trying the 490/590

The 590 is a good saw. The best "farm" saw out there, imo. And the best bang-for-buck new saw available.

Although I have only tried a couple different husky and a couple of different Stihl farm-grade saws..

Back