best bar length for 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNAR13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so..tax returns are coming soon and i'm thinking about getting a dolmar 7900. what do you guys think is the best bar length to get with this saw? i'd like to have at least a 28" with it since i can run anything smaller than that easily on my 361. so you guys think it would be better to go ahead and get it with a 30" or 32"? any suggestions are helpful. thanks

do you often come up against any wood that would justify a 32" bar?
IMO go 2" bigger than the biggest stick you'll ever see...
BTW awsome saw love my ps-7300... ( 20 inch bar w/rs33 chain )

I love my 7900 it screams with a 24" bar. I know it would have no trouble pulling my 32" with skip, but I leave the 32" on my 2186.

To me, a 28" is about perfect. The 32" works fine, and the 7900 has plently of power to drive either one. I think the 28" balances a little better on it, though.

I run a 28” bar with skip chain in hard wood and this machine just rips. Everybody that uses this saw said the same thing, “I cant believe how strong that saw is”. I have used a 36” full comp in willow and this saw did fine. Great tool!

I run a 20" b&c with an 8 pin and 24" with a 7 pin on my 7900 most of the time. In all honesty a 20" b&c will handle the bulk of what I cut. I also have a 32" for my 7900 and I can tell you a stock 7900 will pull a 32" B&C just fine.

You can cut up a pretty large tree with a 24" b&c.

attachment.php

I run 20", 24" and 28" on my 7900's .........I have run a 32" full comp with no problems.....28" is a nice size .....

Yup, I bought a 32 for a 30" Alaskan Mill, I used it the other day to cut some big Maple. I had the 32" buried with full comp and it cut strong. You can use anything from 20-32+ with no problems, it's what you want it to:)

I have the stock 20" and just bought a 28" winsor speed tip.

I have a 4' oak to fell and cut up. I hope the 28" is big enough. I didn't know I could have this tree until after I ordered the 28" bar..

I run a 24in 7 pin. I rarely get into anything that I would need a longer bar for. The main reason I went with a 24in is I can cut wood on the ground and not bend over. I am 5ft8, so if you are taller go longer. That was my reason for picking this length. Too old to stoop down to cut for long.

Back