best bar length for 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 28 and 32 on mine, but we don't have much for hardwood around here. It does great in Doug Fir/Larch w/ the 32". Had the 7900 for just over a year now, and I'm in LOVE..(=

Days may be # for pushing the 026's through the larger Oak rounds around here for firewood. Been waiting for my old faithful 026 to have a new oil pump installed (dealer has had it for over 2 weeks, could have done it myself at this pace :censored:). Picked up a second 026 for limbing on the logging crew, it was hardly used before I got it:chainsaw:.

Just called my new dealer AL, and placed an order for a PS-7900 (20" bar to start bucking up some hardwood), wife gave the "do what you want" (She just got a new kitchen table :monkey:). This guy (Al) seems real old school, having parts for the older Polan line, etc. Chains for same price I would get from bailies delivered, gloves there at a nice price too. Finally a dealer willing to help a working man out and not trying to empty the wallet on pricing. No excuses like set prices in the computer, and lets get real "who doesn't like to feel like they just made a good deal".

:censored::censored::censored::censored: I think I have a bug:cry:

Wishie22

I took a tip from Holmentree and only want .063. This gauge matches the gauge of the replaceable nose sprocket and the drive rim.

Termite

I was under the impression that they come in a .050 gauge setup from the factory design, but u could set it up with .058 gauge no problem. Didn't get into the rim size with the order yet, about to open an account and leave a deposit in the morn.

Wouldn't mind the extra thick of the .063 gauge since the others usually run Stihl's and the bulk orders help.

I've been milling 24" Poplar with the 7900 and I'm not super impressed. I have the 32" bar. I was able to cut about the same speed with my Echo 620pw and the 27" bar and just shelled out for it and so far I'm pretty damn disappointed. Aside from not cutting faster it goes through fuel faster than 620pw. I will be trying the 28" bar on the 7900 and it it doesn't cut better than the 620pw, I am selling it and will try the cs-800 or some other brand instead. Sorry guys, so far Echo gets a way better opinion from me and it's easier to start and idles much better. There is also zero bogging with 620pw. I hope it's just a matter that ea7900 should not really run a 32" bar. I will let you guys know when I get 28" bar in and try it.

I've been milling 24" Poplar with the 7900 and I'm not super impressed. I have the 32" bar. I was able to cut about the same speed with my Echo 620pw and the 27" bar and just shelled out for it and so far I'm pretty damn disappointed. Aside from not cutting faster it goes through fuel faster than 620pw. I will be trying the 28" bar on the 7900 and it it doesn't cut better than the 620pw, I am selling it and will try the cs-800 or some other brand instead. Sorry guys, so far Echo gets a way better opinion from me and it's easier to start and idles much better. There is also zero bogging with 620pw. I hope it's just a matter that ea7900 should not really run a 32" bar. I will let you guys know when I get 28" bar in and try it.

The 7900 have always been an impressive saw. Something amiss.

Personally i wouldnt use a 7900 for milling long term. There are more robust saws in the 80cc range more suited to milling. This doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the build quality of the saw as the weight to power ratio is ideal for crosscutting. I have a 371XP with the performance of the 7900 and build strength but i wouldnt use it for any largish milling jobs. I have the 395XP for that.

Yeah the thread is old. Hah, you replied to it too, so...

I'll have to make do. Not gonna drop another $1000 to get another 10 more CC and find out it's no different. I just jumped from a 60cc saw to an 80cc saw and I can't spend another $1000 time find out if another 10cc will matter. So far, the Makita is costing me $4 for each 22" x 10' slab in gas. Poplar is a soft hard wood so the fact that this saw bogs at all and the echo never seems the is really quite weird. This saw has more horsepower. I actually cut through this same size Poplar using much less gas using Echo 620pw and 27" bar. I'm not sure what's wrong or if this saw just isn't meant to run a 32" bar for milling. I bought this saw with hopes it would do it faster and save me time. I'm willing to buy the 28" bar if you guys think it will make a big difference.

What am I doing wrong? I am running 94+ octane gas and I warm up the saw everytime properly before using it. Chain is sharp and bar is almost brand new. I am running in the summer setting as it's over 80 outside here.

For those out there that mill, how long does it take you using an Alaskan mill to saw through one 22" x 10' slab of poplar (1.5" thick)? How much gas do you use? I'm going through about a tank and a half a slab and it's taking 35-45 minutes a slab.

No saw is 'made' for milling, it's such demanding work for a saw that many OEM's recommend against it. Milling uses much more fuel, it's slow but 45min per slab seems too long for US poplar species as you describe it. I agree with post above from Aussie, you have a chain problem and the energy of your saw isn't efficiently going into cutting. Post up a few pics of your chain you have been using & we'll try to get to the bottom of it. Pics of your chain are worth a thousand words. Your 620p shouldn't be out performing a 5cube 7900.

Thanks for the help guys.

This is the bar I'm using: https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/powercut™-guide-bar,-32"/p/320rndd009

This is the chain I'm using: https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/powercut™-saw-chain,-32"/p/72lgx105g

No, it's not a ripping chain, but my understanding is that ripping chains actually cut more slowly, but result in smoother cuts.

I just ordered Makita's name brand 28" bar and chain to see if the length of the bar is causing the issue.

I'll post a few pictures of the bar and chain later when I finish working, but the results I am getting are on a brand new bar and chain sharpened by Oregon. It seems very sharp, I nicked myself on it when I was putting on the chain. I usually sharpen my chain every 2-3 slabs. I've only cut 3 with this saw, so I sharpened it for the first time yesterday using the Husqvarna sharpening tool. As I was sharpening it, it still wasn't dull, but it's sharper now.

When cutting logs normally, it throws normal sized wood chips (not dust), so I'm pretty sure it's good and sharp. When milling, it throws fine dust which seems to be the norm with any saw I've used when milling. Note, I've only milled Poplar, so maybe the softness of poplar makes it more difficult for the saw?

I even use a 36" for poplar milling on my 7910.
So the bar length is not the issue.
For milling it needs to be realy sharp. Rakkers a tad lower, and no pushing through.
We now use a 11kW bandmill.
Way faster. And no fear of smoked PH.

I can try filing down the rakkers some. Here are the pics of my current chain. Has your carb been tuned? Is there any difference between ea7900 and 7910?IMG_20200622_130400604.jpgIMG_20200622_130342254.jpgIMG_20200622_130453518.jpgIMG_20200622_130434834.jpg

I would say, there is some milling 101 post here. I learned a lot reading that for half a day.
Those rakers seem way to high. But you can only drop significant them when when the teeth are very sharp. Can't see that on a picture (I'm just a hobbyist). If they cut into my skin when handeling it, it's sharp.

Back